'79 XS11 Clutch plate replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 XS11 Clutch plate replacement

54k on it and it's started slipping in 3rd, adjusted out with same results. Picked up a set of EBC friction plates, stock springs & gasket. Upon removal, measured existing plates and they measure 2.84mm-2.87mm, new measured 3.04mm. Old weak springs measured 42.7mm, New were at 43.5mm and a bit stiffer.
    Got the friction plates in a pan of oil now.

I'm curious, Where ya'll have installed that extra steel plate? Outer, inner ?
    Richard

You shouldn't need the extra plate with new frictions and springs.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

With the new friction plates taking up the extra space and new springs, Correct, I wont. Just curious...
      Richard

Comment

Nope you shouldn't HAVE to throw in the extra plate.. but if you want to make it last longer and like having a bit stiffer, stronger clutch, you can add one while you have it apart. It doesn't hurt anything to add it. Throw it in the middle somehwere.. put down a 3 or 4 metal plates, then throw in the extra... if you choose to do it.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have not done the extra steel thing, but I don't think it much matters.
          I would probably double up towards the end of the stack.

I also have new frictions and springs waiting on me to install, so I won't be adding another plate.

I started losing grip at 34,000. Third gear at 6K will really zing it.
          I know the PO had a trailer and hauled that and the missus all over the place for a few years. But, it's probably mostly the 30 year old springs.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

I put a new clutch in last year with new frictions and new steels (no extras) along with hd springs. Doesn't slip anymore.

Here's what prompted me to do it - I was riding home on I71 one evening last year, cruising along at 70 mph when I passed this big chromed out harley dyna. He was bagging along at 55 when I went past him, and I guess he thought I was buzzing him. I wasn't really paying attention to him, but I got about a half mile down the road and he buzzed by doing about 100. Kind of made me angry, so I hit the throttle and the clutch started slipping. Just barely managed to catch him before he took his exit, but that wasn't really what I wanted to do, and I thought to myself 'That's not going to happen again.' With the new clutch the Harleys stay in the rear view mirror where they belong .
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I put new Vesrah springs only in and added one steel last year. Doesn't slip as much but still slips in 3rd at 7k. Valvoline Motorcycle 10w40. My question is: do old frictions get hard and loose grip? What do you suggest? New frictions? I have sanded by hand the steels and frictions to remove any glase, thickness still in spec.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Mine slipped with 10/40, but not with 20/50 oil. You might try that with the next oil change. No need for that expensive motorcycle oil.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If they're still in spec I would think an extra steel and hd springs would be in order. The other reason you add an extra steel is to make up for wear on the pressure plate - at least that's my understanding. When I did mine I just replaced all the steels and frictions so I wouldn't have to mess with it again for a long while.
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Finished it today and took it out. What a difference! Smoother shifting and NO slippage. I had an extra NEW steel that came with everything but didn't use it. Clutch lever is firm but not excessive with the new springs and friction plates. BTW, I've been running 20w50 Castrol in all my cycles for 3+ years now.
                    Richard

Comment

Plates

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                      Finished it today and took it out. What a difference! Smoother shifting and NO slippage. I had an extra NEW steel that came with everything but didn't use it. Clutch lever is firm but not excessive with the new springs and friction plates. BTW, I've been running 20w50 Castrol in all my cycles for 3+ years now.
                      Where did you purchase the EBC kit?
                      78 XS1100E Standard
                      Coca Cola Red
                      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

It wasn't a kit. It was a single Ebay Auction someone put together with:

EBC 8 pc. Heavy Duty Clutch Friction Plate Set, part # CK2230

Barnett 6 pc. Heavy Duty Clutch Spring Set part MT-45-6

1 pc. Genuine Yamaha Steel Clutch Plate, part # 2H7-16325-00 ( a full clutch pack replacement requires 7 pcs. but I only have one. Some folks add an extra steel plate to the pack for less slippage but that shouldn't be needed with the Barnett springs. See www.XS11.com for more info on this mod)

1 Genuine Yamaha XS1100 Clutch Cover gasket, part #2H7-15451-10
                        Richard

Comment

Working...
                        X