Flat rear tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat rear tire

Hey guy's imm back for some more xs know how took the bike to work and got a flat. I had neve replace the tires since i aquired the bike this should be one of the first thing to do after you start riding agian. thats a nex project note to self. ok i have been reading the tire posts to see the size .

I am not sure what to buy clld the local yamaha dealer and told them that i need 2 tires the back is a 130-90-16 and my front tire is a 90-19 m/c 61 h I dont know what this means. He proceeds to tell me that he has plenty of 130-90-16 but it is actually a front tire and he is not allowed to put on as a rear tire.
    This has always been on the rear did po swap out or is the counterman at yamaha off? I have the 81 special sh i believe. can anybody give me the heads up on the right size for the rear and the front for that mater.
    Hey fellows and ladies thanks in advance I always enjoy everyones great responds to the questions memebers like me ask?

Regards to all

Tonio
    tonio
    81 xs eleven special

front: 100/90/19
    rear: 130/90/16

"H" is the speed rating, should be fine for our bikes.

That shop probably has sizes in stock for newer bikes. They might have to be ordered.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 04-14-2009, 07:48 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      front: 100/90/19
      rear: 130/90/16

"H" is the speed rating, should be fine for our bikes.

That shop probably has sizes in stock for newer bikes. They might have to be ordered.
      I'll save you the trouble of looking up the numerous threads on tires.
      Bridgestone Metzler and Dunlop are the popular brands on this site.
      The rear size is cast in stone. do not get raised letters or it will rub.
      front has a little more option 90/90/19 is a little smaller diameter
      110/90/19 a bit of a sqeeze under the fender.
      Pick something you can wear out in 4 years as you should replace it then anyway.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I bought new tires at the local honda shop a year ago .Dunlop 130\90\16 and a
        110\90\19.They were both in stock and I paid $150 for both.I installed myself though,they wanted fifty extra for install.
        It should be fairly easy to find these tires.You can also get them on line.Ebay as well as bikebandit are a couple places.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I just ordered a set of Bridgestone S11's from Motorcycle Superstore this afternoon. $135.98 for the set with free shipping on orders over $75.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Numbers game.

Originally posted by TONIO View Post
            ok i have been reading the tire posts to see the size . I am not sure what to buy clld the local yamaha dealer and told them that i need 2 tires the back is a 130-90-16 and my front tire is a 90-19 m/c 61 h I dont know what this means. He proceeds to tell me that he has plenty of 130-90-16 but it is actually a front tire and he is not allowed to put on as a rear tire.
            This has always been on the rear did po swap out or is the counterman at yamaha off?
            Hi Tonio,
            those are the correct sizes. 130/90-16 rear and 100/90-19 front.
            But what do those numbers mean?
            The first mumber is the tire width in millimeters. The rear is 130mm wide and the front is 100mm wide.
            The second number is the width to height ratio of the tire cross-section.
            In both tires the /90 means the tire section height is 90% of the width.
            The third number is the tire rim diameter in inches. The -16 means the rear fits a 16" rim and the -19 means the front fits a 19" rim.
            Modern tires also have a final letter. The H is a speed rating. (H is good for continuous 140mph)
            Note that any tire size can be for a front tire or for a rear tire. Whether a tire is for front or for rear use depends on the section profile and the tread pattern.
            It could be that your dealer only had front tires in the 130/90-16 size but it's more likely that what he had was "a failure to communicate".
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

tires

Thanks guys just the info i needed didnt know if yamaha counterman was telling me a story f toon I will let counterguy of the hook since i did not mention to him that i was a newbee and needed further details on the subject.

ready to shop

Tonio
              tonio
              81 xs eleven special

Comment

Tonio - Here's some places in Houston where you can get tires mounted and balanced. I used the 77001 zip code for the search, and knowing how big Houston is, there may be others closer to you. The first one on the list shows a price of $40 for a set, mounted and balanced, and that's with them removing the wheels. I'm a little sceptical, but it might be worth a call. Preferred Installers
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

places

dbeardslee thank's that is a cool tool will play with it the lower price places are about 30 miles away the closer into town then they go up the dealer had told me 65.00 each front and back bu i just assumed that was them taking it of the bike and reinstalling them on bie i will have to ask I have the manual may have to remove them myself.

Tonio
                  tonio
                  81 xs eleven special

Comment

Hey Tonio,

IF you do decide to take them off and put on the new ones yourself, take a look at the tech tips, there's a Pictorial How To for the front tire at least! I tried to include a few tips/tricks to make it as easy as possible!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You find someone close to change them for you yet Tonio ?

There was a guy over in Cypress that mount and balance it for $35 if you had it off and took it to him. Still looking for his address, he was off of Cypress Rosehill. What did the Yamaha dealer near you want to do it?
                      Richard

Comment

Richard

Richard thanks been looikin have not found someone yet would appreciate the number if you find it Cypress is so close to me. Yamaha on 1960 close to perry said 65.00 per tire but they did not have the rear tire. will try to remove this weekend. Hey thats a nice catch and low miles congrates agian.

Tonio
                        tonio
                        81 xs eleven special

Comment

Working...
                        X