Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks pics????

Hello All,

I have been searching all of the therads on the shocks and have seen alot of ideas on how to make a spring compressor. I made a prety good one but have a question about how to compress it to get the dust shield off.(1) do you only compress the dust shield and then you can remove the round ring? (2) or do you do both and then how do you remove the ring? I do not want to mess anything up because I need to save all of it, So if any of you have any pics that I can see on how to remove all of that without lossing my front teeth that would be great. or send me the link to the thread that has the pics that would be great. The bobber project is almost done and I am really ready to ride it. I still have not posted any pics but I will have before and after when I get it all done. Again thanks for any or help on this matter.
    1978 XS 1100 Standard - Bobber project
    www.fullthrottlefurniture.com

You compress the spring until the whole top unit (shield, retainer and clip) fall below the shoulder of the top bolt eye assembly.

Then the retainer pushes out to the side, it has a slot it in that fits around the shaft.

Then let the spring compressor off and the spring will be removable.

Derwat made a compressor using two threaded rods with a nut welded to the bottom of each. He then made hooks using two nuts with a piece of steel welded to each.

You put bottom mounting eye of the shock into a vice and clamp it. The two threaded rods go, one either side, with the welded nuts under the vice and kept there with big washers. We slip the hooks over the highest spring coil we can see then turn the bottom nuts to compress the spring.
    Last edited by Crazcnuk; 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
    X