headlight/instrument gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight/instrument gauges

I was riding my bike xs1100 special to work one night this past week and my headlight along with my instrument gauge lights went out...there i was traveling 65 miles an hour in pitch blackness..checked the fuses they seemed to all be good...can anyone help me with this.

thanks

Highwayman

Either the headlight relay, or the alternator, or a connection in those circuits.

Try jumping the relay first.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

check the fuses with a tester of some sort. The glass ones can melt the solder off under the caps. JAT
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I was going to suggest fuse box, if it is still original.

However, I had the same problem when my headlight relay went out. I threw it away and wired in a switch at the handlebars... I hated not having control of when my headlight came on, anyway.
        Corey J. Bennett
        '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Have you checked that mess behind the headlight?
          Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

If your tach still works, but no headlight, probably the relay which needs a signal from the alternator. Sometimes the diode for the relay fries and won't latch the relay.

Relay bypass...
            Unplug the relay under the tank near the steering neck. Jump the red/yel and the blu/blk wires. Light should come on with key on. Not 100% sure if a bad relay would knock out the instrument lights too. HTH
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

gauges

When the headlight went out the gauges went with it...i am replacing the old fuse box with a newer on already have the items needed ordered so hope to have it up and running soon. thank you for responding i apreciate it

thanks again

Highway Man

Comment

Working...
              X