S.O.F.A touches kerker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.O.F.A touches kerker

Bought TC,s s.o.f.a last week and spent the last few days getting everything together to install on my SF
    Today I was doing the dry run and found that the filter touches the Kerker header

My question is will this be a problem
    I can still spin the filter by hand so its not that bad but they still share a small piece of real estate
    Would it rub a hole in the filter
    Would it heat up the oil in the filter
    Is anybody running the same setup
    If this doesn't work Ill be looking for a oil filter bolt and filter cup
    When I went to change the oil for the first time on my Outsider SF project

I stripped the oil filter bolt and knocked a couple of fins off the cup chiseling the bolt off
    but no worries I was going to have an extra set
    or so I thought
    Any input would be appreciated
    Heres the Outsider before I bought it
    Gary
    1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Hey Gary,

It's the side of the #1 pipe isn't it?? I would suggest you take a gentle hammer and unscrew the filter, and flatten the filter where it wants to rub, so that it won't hit that area when it's spun back on. The filter element is deeper, and a small compressed/indent is not going to affect it's performance. That filter metal is a bit thin, and with the vibration of the engine/pipes it could rub thru, and having OIL spill out while you're running down the road would not be good for handling!

This filter is the narrowest type that I could find that would work for our application, being for a GL1500 engine.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey Gary,
      The Merriamxs store on ebay has an oil filter housing with a starting bid of $3.99. Good luck.

T.C. - I had the same situation. Is there another filter that's shorter and still does the job??
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
      X