Resync, etc. with velocity stacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resync, etc. with velocity stacks?

So I did TCs mod with the plumbing couplers cut in half which serve as velocity stacks. Trying to unshroud the air jet. Anywho... is it necessary to resync the bike after this mod? Maybe lower float height? Seems like the straighter/more efficient air deliver might change some of the carb dynamics... or is that much of a difference?

I haven't ran it yet since the mod because it got cold!!!! GRR!
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

If it was in sync before the mod and you didnt remove the carbs from each other ,they should stay in sync.So if it runs well and seems good you shouldnt need to.
    If it wasnt sync'd before or it isnt running right its easy to check.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I did something similar on mine, search "el cheapo" and you should see it.

I had to go up two or three sizes on the pilot jets and two on the main. Still had quite a dead spot in the low end. I stretched springs and did a few other things that have the bike workable. Then I did the cherry bomb exhaust mod abd the main jets went back DOWN to the original size. Runs like a scalded cat now.

As far as the sync, You should be ok with what you had unless you messed with the carb mounting. I just threw the sync gauge on my bike for the spring tune up and was surprised to see them out. I think they vibrate out over time. It would be nice to have a lock nut like the CB750s had, then it would be set and forget, to an extent.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

They were good before. Just fired her up. Seemed to take less time than it normally does (in this cold temperature) and idles a lot smoother, even at startup with the choke on.

I saw your mod Ivan. I was damn angry at myself for "misplacing" my stock air box. You see, I'm super cheap, and if I could have saved myself the ten dollars for the couplers I would jumped for joy.

I have 80 carbs on my 79 and am currently running 117.5 mains and one size up for the pilots (forgot the size). I have the pods and custom four into two exhaust. Seemed to be a good combo before (besides never getting more than 28 miles per gallon).

I'll let you guys know of any improvements when I get to give her a road test!!!
        Corey J. Bennett
        '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
        X