Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric problems

hey fellas,

i'm hoping someone can give me some clues on this electric problem i have.

79SF with 81H front end, lights, and instrumentation. has been together since '98, never a problem in this area.

the other day, my headlight lowbeam burned out. not sure exactly when it happened. the reserve lighting unit failed to work, so it took a fellow rider to make me aware of the problem. i couldnt switch to high beam and my front running lights werent on. we hot-wired the high beam, and i made it home.

the bulb was definately bad, i changed it and bench tested new bulb. however, the headlight still wont come on when the bike starts.

i can supply power to hi/lo switch, the headlight works as it should. supplied power to BLUE/BLACK wire coming out of the headlight relay, the headlight/running lights works. i show power from ALT (YELLOW) to headlight relay (2.9v - i have no idea if this is good or not. seems that the voltage would be reduced to here???). i have a spare relay that clicks when its plugged in. that sounds like its working, but still no headlight.

it would seem that reserve lighting unit is ok. i have several spares. i have power thru the headlight fuse.

any thoughts? is this possibly an ALT problem? the bike starts and runs. what about the mysterious, SF-only 'light checker unit'???

i'm at a loss here, any help appreciated.
    - dan
    - thinker57@lycos.com
    - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

headlight relay

anyone have a headlight relay they can part with? email me direct.
    - dan
    - thinker57@lycos.com
    - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Working...
    X