Will these coils work for my XJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will these coils work for my XJ?

I remember something written about problems with the ballast resistor or something with the XJ and aftermarket coils. Will these work... or do I need something else? I like the idea of replaceable wires.. and a hotter spark.

Accel Coils

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

I believe I have those coils on my 'F'. I still have my ballast resistor in place, I think thee are two versions, the difference is the primary resistance, if it's the higher of the two, the ballast resistor is not needed, otherwise, it is (I think). one is like 3 ohms, and the other is like 1.8 or something, I don't really remember off the to of my head. in a nutshell, you need to know the primary coil resistance, I don't think the XJ has the ballast res. so you would want the higher resistance. again, my memory is foggy and my bike had them on it when I got it. the replaceable wire thing is nice, I must say, as I tend to make my own wires out of some stranded copper 60kv high voltage wire I have at the office; it might interfere with a radio, but I don't have one so it's been a non issue. hope this helps, have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Nope!

Hey Tod,

THose are the CAPACITIVE DISCHARGE IGNITION coils, rated at 0.7 ohms, and will fry the TCI very quickly. You want to look for the 140403 which are the 3.0 ohm Inductive style.

You can also use the MikesXS high power output coils with no problem, they don't require the use of a Ballast Resistor, and you get over twice the rated OEM KV power from 15kv to 35Kvolts with them. By the time you've paid for shipping with those or other Ebay coils, you would have paid for one NEW Mikes, and once you get over $50.00, it's free shipping anyways!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

These are what TC is talking about. They fit right in the stock location on my 80G. I just bypassed the ballast.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-27.html#products

Part #17-6803

"it might interfere with a radio"

As I understand it, if you have the stock style 5kohm spark plug caps OR you use Resistor plugs (BPR6ES) you shouldn't have any interference on your radio.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

When I went to Crazcnuk's link to MikesXS I noticed all the new ignition systems designed by Pamcopete. Pete is a guy that helps out on the XS650 board. We lovingly refer to Pete as the one who bleeds electrons when he gets cut

I think the answer to the XS1100 ignition woes might be the new high output dual coils with 8mm wires. Here is my PM to Pete and his response.

From Masher:
          Pete,

I noticed your new inventions on MikesXS. Those are some very fine products.

I'm currently building a 1978 XS1100E and was curious if a pair of those green coils (Part #17-6810) would work?

If so, wouldn't they also match up with the 7mm yellow silicon copper core wires (Part #23-2906) and 5K caps (Part #23-3113)?

From Pete:
          ...yes, the new "Green Monster" dual output coil would be a good choice. I did the lab evaluation for Mike and installed one on my XS650/H. It really does produce 75 K volts, so that means that you can use a wider gap for more efficient initial burning of the fuel / air mixture, especially lean mixtures. It also means that you have a huge reserve of voltage for cold starting.

Although Mikes sells the 7 mm wires with the kit, I would recommend 8 mm with molded right angle boots on both ends, because the coil is rather large, and with that much voltage, you have to keep it away from the tank and frame or it will arc.

I used resistor 8 mm wire with molded boots AND resistor plugs.

The other advantage to this coil is that you can use any of the more exotic plugs, if you choose, but, also with that much voltage, it doesn't really matter what plug you use, it will fire it.

The main issue will be mounting the coil, because of its size and the offset towers.
          My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

Those would be cool, if you want to run a Turbo XS11 with 10psi boost, and a NOS shot, but are really overkill for an otherwise stock engine. Even with aftermarket pipes and intake mods.

If you are making a hot rod, though, they would likely be the best choice.

The ones we use are 2-3x the output of the stock coils that have worked fine for the last 30 years.

They also fit right in the stock location with no mods necessary.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Hmmmm...turbos, NOS, pipes and intake mods...you got me thinking now

Comment

well, you want to go 1196 big bore, but figure out how to get the compression down to 8:1 or so, run 24psi boost with a Garret Turbo and I don't think you will need the NOS.

Of course you also need Electronic ignition and fuel injection and you should be able to pull more power than the suspension or tires can handle, so then you need a new swingarm, monoshock combo, better frame, different front end....

Oh hell, just buy a haybus!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Good point...I think my eyes got bigger than my pocket book

Comment

While it's always interesting to speculate about what you can do with these bikes, they are really just vintage rides.

There is no point in reinventing the wheel, then back-engineering it to put on an antique.

In a video about a 636hp Hyabusa the guy was saying the Garret turbo cost more than a brand new bike!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                    X