Broken rear bleeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken rear bleeder

Just got my first XS 1100E, it was a little neglected to say the least. When I went to bleed the rear the bleeder broke off flush. Any ideas on how to get this puppy out?
    Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
    2003 YZF-R1

Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
    Cullen Hightower

You can use an "Easy-Out" or a left handed drill bit or find a replacement on ebay.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

I too had broken a bleeder off inside a caliper, mine was front right. After mucking it up very badly, I went to the local junkyard. Btw, this was a speedbleeder I broke...they are very fragile methinks - they are great as long as you pretend you are working on glass.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

OK. guess I am on my way to the local recycle center to save myself the time. maybe I will tinker with it if i get a chance. Thanks for the replies.
        Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
        2003 YZF-R1

Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
        Cullen Hightower

Comment

definately give it a try, I had just managed to get it jammed in so tightly that the above mentioned methods didn't work for me. If you do get a used caliper, I highly suggest you rebuild it before using it

Comment

Calipers, I just bought a right front and a rear caliper from the Baltimore bike junk yard. They were 80.00 each but came with warrentees. I had a real problem with bleeders, they are made out of glass, at least they break that easy.

There are a bunch of dealers hooked up together that will respond to a google search and give you prices on their parts. I found 4 dealers that called and wrote me with the parts. But no body moved downward on prices.

deo
            82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
            Riding with the Son

Comment

Has anyone tried redrilling and tapping a new bleeder hole, then installing a new bleeder?
              Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
              2003 YZF-R1

Cullen Hightower

Comment

Ouch deo! My local yard only charged me $45, and they even rebuilt it for me...maybe I should send them Christmas gifts this year?

Comment

Hey! Just drilled,tapped and inserted new bleeder next to old one bleed it and it seems to be working great! Now for the front left.
                  Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
                  2003 YZF-R1

Cullen Hightower

Comment

Snow,

Give me the name of your local yard I may have some orders for them. A Christmas gift to them is a great idea.

deo
                    82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
                    Riding with the Son

Comment

Hey Rainbow...

thats great that you are that resourseful. Look at all the monie you saved. A few of us get lost in finding new/used parts knowing we can use them later.
                      wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

Recycled Cycles by Krivit, Tallahassee Florida - www.motorcycleparts4u.com

If you do happen to get parts from Keith over there, tell him Pete with the XS sent ya

Comment

Front left did the same thing. I found that instead of trying to remove it with an easy out just disassemble it and drill and tap for a slightly larger bleeder. Just be careful not to go through the smaller hole into the cylinder.
                          Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
                          2003 YZF-R1

Cullen Hightower

Comment

Working...
                          X