Almost Running...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Running...

I'm still dismantling and cleaning up my G… have not started it yet, but getting closer. It has set for 6 years with gas and water in the tank. I’ve got Caswell’s tank kit and a pack of BBs waiting. The 4 into 1 exhaust will come off next. I’ve had lots of wasps, bugs and spiders everywhere you can imagine. When I removed the stock airbox it was a mess. The mice had eaten half the air filter and it was a wad of goo… mold, foam and mud from the wasps. I scraped it all into the trash and the airbox is now soaking in soap… I brought a stock air filter, but it may have had a K&N. I guess looking at the jets will tell if the PO had done things correctly when the 4 – 1 was installed and if I should go back with a stock filter or not. The FAQ’s excellent article about “What to look for on a neglected XS1100” by Gary Granger and TC has been a big help. Normally one would change the jets to match the exhaust and intake… in this case I’m going backwards. Any advice is appreciated!
    When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Barnfresh - I wouldn't use BB's to clean the tank - a handfull of drywall screws will work better. The sharp edges on the screws will do a better job of knocking the loose rust off. When I did mine I dropped a hanful of drywall screws in, and when I was done I turned the tank upside down to get 'em out. Shake as I may, not one screw came out through the filler neck! I had to fish 'em all out through the fuel meter sending unit port with a magnet. It's a good idea to count them before you put them in. I think BB's would be a nightmare to get back out.

Also, make sure you keep the bolt holes clean! If you give the bolts (fuel meter bolts, and petcock bolts) a squirt of WD40, and install prior to coating the Caswell stuff won't stick to them. If you do it right you should wind up with little towers inside the tank providing additional sealing. The Caswell stuff sets up hard as a rock, and if you do get a hole that has a heavy deposit after your done, drill it out before you re-tap. The first tank I did I played fast and loose with the bolt holes, and when I got done I thought "I'll just run a tap through". Busted the tap off in one of the meter bolt holes and scrapped the tank.

That being said, the Caswell material is great stuff. They say there's enough material to do 2 tanks, but I doubt it. I use it all on one tank, and just let the excess drain out through the petcock holes. Also, when you first start pouring it in I would use a funnel with a piece of tubing on the end. Direct the flow over the tunnel part of the tank and make sure you get the tunnel coated well while you're pouring it in. I don't know why, but it's really hard to get it to flow over the tunnel once it's in. Also make sure you do it when the temperature is in the right range, and allow adequate curing time. Seems to me like it takes about four days to adequately cure.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 04-09-2009, 10:55 AM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

db: Nothing like experience. I did not realize the stuff hardened like that – I thought it was a plastic bladder… The Caswell instructions say to use playdough and duct tape over the holes… I like your advice of oil on the bolt threads and a known number of drywall screws… Thanks.
      When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

The excess I collected from one of the petcock holes I caught in a rubbery plastic container. Stuff gets pretty hot while it's curing. Anyway, when I was done I turned the container upside down, and a 3/4 inch thick round Caswell disk popped out. Makes a great paperweight! I closed up the fuel meter hole and the petcock holes with duct tape - works fine.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
        X