No announcement yet.

Complete frame off, any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at some of your early photo's, I see you have an oil cooler on the bike. DO NOT PUT THAT COOLER BACK ON! It is one of the "bad design" coolers that takes the oil from the cams, runs it through, and then puts it back into the cams. It does NOT cool the oil supply much at all, and if it does have a problem, you loose the HEAD AND CAMS!
    T.C. makes a "SOFA" that has the fitting for a real cooler, if you want one. Otherwise, don't worry about it. My daily ride does NOT have a cooler, and I've ridden it at 85 MPH through the 115+ heat of the South West Desert with no problems. Yamaha did a good job on the design of these engines, and with the modern oils they WILL last for many years and miles. JMHO
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

THANKS FOR THE TIP! I have been looking at new coolers cause that thing is nasty, but their expensive. Should I plug the outlets or just run a bypass hose from fitting to fitting?

Also more photos, I am done for today.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/DSCN1003.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/DSCN1004.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/DSCN1006.jpg
      1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Comment

Check with someone close, or andreas. There is a special pipe that goes from the oil gallery to the head. You NEED to be aware of the bolts, as well. IIRC, the "upper" bolt has a dish in the head, and the lower is flat. They MUST be in the correct position. with the "stock" pipe in place, you don't need to worry about the rest of the mess.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

Could I not just run a hose? Do you have any pics of this setup?

Comment

I hate this wiring harness! I swear this thing is too big to have come off this bike. Its like trying to weave a loom to get it back on the frame. Could they have made this anymore complicated?

Comment

Here is the Yamaha parts picture:

I hope this works! IF not, here is the location of the part in the Yamaha online parts. It is in the oil pump section, and shows the pipe, bolts and washers needed.http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx
              As I said, try giving Andreasweis a pm, as he has a lot of good used parts at a reasonable price.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

OK, I see what happened someone cut the stock pipe and installed fittings for hoses so they could run the cooler. I believe I can reconnect the pipe with a short hose jumper.

Comment

17 bucks will get you a complete one...

XS1100 Oil delivery pipe
                  Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                  1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                  23mm float height
                  120 main jets
                  42.5 pilot jets
                  drilled stock airbox with K&N
                  Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                  spade fusebox
                  1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Yeah its like $31 with shipping. I am just going to make a jumper with the old hose and call it good. More pics tomorrow. I finished the wireing harness today it was not as bad as I expected. I had so many pics to go on, I love digital cameras!!!

Comment

Sheesh! 14 bucks shipping??!! What a crook!
                      Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                      1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                      23mm float height
                      120 main jets
                      42.5 pilot jets
                      drilled stock airbox with K&N
                      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                      spade fusebox
                      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

nice work

I dont know if its an f it looks more like an 80g and is that a euro tank, it looks bigger than a us standard tank?
                        91 kwaka kz1000p
                        Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

The title says '79 F but I have wondered a lot about whats been done to it. Whoever had it before me did a lot of work, I think it was well taken care of by the buy who had it before the buy I got it from. Wow, that was confusing, i would say three owners ago, yeah, that guy took good care of her.

Comment

Working...
                          X