Complete frame off, any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete frame off, any advice?

I am new to the site and have completely broken my bike down to the frame. I will be posting pics as it comes closer to completion. Any advice on things I should check out or do upon re-assembly?
    1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Welcome to the site! There are tons of things you can do as you re-assemble, but it depends on how much energy you want to put into it. You could go as far as re-painting the frame and all other paintable parts. Definitely make sure all the electrical connections are clean and corrosion-free. There is a member here who sells a fuse-box upgrade for really cheap that will allow you to get rid of the old glass fuses (which are notoriously problematic).

What model/year do you have? If you put that info in your signature, it would help other members to give the proper advice. Also, you may find that there are members in your area willing to swing by and help out if needed. Good luck, and post pics ASAP. Pics that catalog the progression of a re-build would be a neat thing to see.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks

I am painting EVERYTHING. This will be very time consuming I am prepared for it. I am taking the frame in for sandblasting today. I am curious about the fuse box conversion I have had so many troubles with the fuses I clean the contacts but the problems keep persisting. Do you have a link? I have posted pics in my album of the disasembly, as i make progress i will add more pics. I would like to know if there are any members in Grand Rapids MI, is there a way to search for members by location?

Comment

Welcome to the board drooker56...
        I strongly recommend that you have your frame powder coated. I say this because if for any reason you are not happy with a regular paint job after the bike is rebuild ...the only way to correct it is to strip the bike down completely again.
        to find members in your area check the link in the "members lounge" It's at the top of that forum ...4th down I think.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Here is a link to the main thread talking about the Fuse block upgrade. It seems relatively simple, and will rid you of many of the electrical gremlins that plague these bikes.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Hey man, welcome. T.C. sells the fuse box I think... heres the link:
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...light=fuse+box
            '82 XJ1100 (In progress...)

Comment

oops...sorry for the double post...Catatonic must have posted while I was typing.
              '82 XJ1100 (In progress...)

Comment

Michigan Bud!

Welcome, drooker56. I grew up in GR and still get back there at least once a year to visit my parents and brothers. Good luck with your restore! I'll be watching.
                Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                23mm float height
                120 main jets
                42.5 pilot jets
                drilled stock airbox with K&N
                Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                spade fusebox
                1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Huh?

Originally posted by drooker56 View Post
                  I have posted pics in my album of the disasembly, as i make progress i will add more pics.
                  I looked in your album but it's empty. Where's the pics?
                  Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                  1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                  23mm float height
                  120 main jets
                  42.5 pilot jets
                  drilled stock airbox with K&N
                  Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                  spade fusebox
                  1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I don't know whats going on with my photos i load them but my album says empty. i even tried just loading one thinking maybe the files were too big. I will keep trying.

Question: What works good to clean off 30 years of oil ang grime that will not damage any of my moving parts like bearing and u joints?

BTW I sent the frame off to the sandblaster today and should have it back next week. I wanted to powdercoat originally but it is not in the budget any longer so I will paint carfully and prey I don't scratch the hell out of it getting the engine back in. I figure i will tape off the frame for the reasembly because sometimes I am not as careful as i intend to be. Thanks for all your advice and links.

If anyone can tell me how to add photos to these posts please do so I can get some up.

Thanks!

Comment

Easiest way to do photos is to create a Photobucket account and post your photos there. Then, for each image there is a link on the page that you can copy and paste into a post here in the forum. It will automatically re-size them for you.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Start with a quick inspection of the bottom of the left side frame tube - look for rust holes. Somehow, water can get inside the frame and after 25 or 30 years of being parked mostly on the sidestand, you can get rust through right where that puddle of water sits.
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Photos of breakdown

I got the frame back from the sandblaster yesterday and have already gone through 4 cans of primer. I will add more pics soon...

http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/drooker56/
                          Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-16-2009, 08:23 PM. Reason: fixed link to album

Comment

advice

Best Advice from experience.....keep the fridge stocked.
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock
                            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Beginning reassembly

I am starting to put here back together. Lets hope I can find everything...

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/DSCN1000.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/DSCN1001.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/DSCN1002.jpg

I think the paint came out pretty well. I may have the front end on today watch for pics!

Comment

Working...
                              X