seat covering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat covering

Anyone have a recommendation for re-covering the seat when you're doing it yourself?
    There's nothing much on e-bay and I was wondering if anyone had done it - or am I just better off going to en upholsterer type guy.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Originally posted by SiP View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for re-covering the seat when you're doing it yourself?
    There's nothing much on e-bay and I was wondering if anyone had done it - or am I just better off going to en upholsterer type guy.
    Hi Si,
    You mean installing a saddleskin replacement cover?
    http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index...cat=1&x=21&y=9
    Those look great if you take reasonable care putting them on.
    Or if you mean buying a yard of vinyl and borrowing a sewing machine, well I tried that.
    My experience is that mebbe the 4th or 5th cover you make will look OK.
    I quit after sewing up the second one.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Another option....
      B&H

Several of us have these covers... nicely done and easily installed...
      A bit more pricey than DIY... but a lot less frustrating too...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Im interested in a new cover, nothing really wrong with mine, 2 bad my pan is rusty on each side where it staples... wish I could find a cover that attaches another way.
        '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
          Im interested in a new cover, nothing really wrong with mine, 2 bad my pan is rusty on each side where it staples... wish I could find a cover that attaches another way.
          You could always refinish the pan. Take all the stuff off of it and grind the rust off, prime, paint and re-cover. It would look really pretty too!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            You could always refinish the pan. Take all the stuff off of it and grind the rust off, prime, paint and re-cover. It would look really pretty too!

If I grind the rust off, the points where the staples go, would be totoally gone... they are flaky as it is. lol
            '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Alrighty then I'll give it a shot. Gonna be riding on a couple of sofa cushions while i'm doing it though
              Si Parker
              '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

If I grind the rust off, the points where the staples go, would be totoally gone... they are flaky as it is. lol
                I think if you called B&H and talk to them.. they are a small company run out of their shop behind their house... they may be able to sew up the bottom edge and install a drawstring to it so you don't have to worry about those metal tabs holding it.

Just a thought.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  I think if you called B&H and talk to them.. they are a small company run out of their shop behind their house... they may be able to sew up the bottom edge and install a drawstring to it so you don't have to worry about those metal tabs holding it.

Just a thought.

Tod
                  Maybe you could cut some new tabs with a Dremel? That is if there's still some solid metal left in which to do this. I've also seen them riveted with a special smooth-headed rivet...
                  Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                  1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                  23mm float height
                  120 main jets
                  42.5 pilot jets
                  drilled stock airbox with K&N
                  Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                  spade fusebox
                  1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but if one were to take a seat to a professional upholsterer, how much would you expect to pay? Would you have them replace all the foam too, or just the cover?
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

I took mine to an upholster and paid a little over $100.00 but it is really thick material and if cover splits it will be repaired or replaced,but it was a friends brother and i got a discount.
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      Inline fuel filters
                      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                      160 mph speedometer mod
                      Kerker Exhaust
                      xschop K & N air filter setup
                      Dynojet Recalibration kit
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I bought a re-cover King/Queen from Dennis Kirk. It was easy to install and I got it quick! Best 130.00 I ever spent!

Deny
                        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

I had the seat recovered on my special at Anthony's Custom cycles in Tampa. They will do any kind of custom cover that you want, from any vinyl or leather that you choose. They will do designs, etc. They are very professional, and have a two day turn around time . Derek there told me that if they really try, they can have a cover done in 45 min. The seat on my special was $250. I highly recommend this business. They have a wesite, anthonyscustomcycles.com
                          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Seat covering

Try Spencers motorcycle seat mods. $50 plus shipping for riders section comfort mod at www.greatdaytoride.com. This might be a good deal if you can do without your seat for a while. He does not recover seats but lists where you can obtain the covers.

Comment

Seat Covering

SIP,

I got one here http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/B...=seat%20covers
                              Repaint your pan. Make it look nice. If the metal barbs are too rusted or broke off, drill 1/8 holes in the pan and cover on the inside (careful not to drill through your new cover on the outside) near by and attach it with pop rivets.
                              My stock cover was also attached to the foam with contact cement. A heat gun should help release it from the foam without too much mess.
                              LuckyEddie
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
                              1982 XV750J Virago
                              1976 GL1000
                              1978 GL1000 Supercharged
                              1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Working...
                              X