Oil additives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil additives?

Anyone use those oil additives that you see in the various stores? Supposed to reduce noise/friction etc.... and increase engine life.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Originally posted by SiP View Post
    Anyone use those oil additives that you see in the various stores? Supposed to reduce noise/friction etc.... and increase engine life.
    ...and drain your wallet.

The only thing I've heard any beneficial things about are Seafoam in the fuel (and in the oil for very short periods as well), and Acetone in the fuel. Other than that, using a good non-synthetic (though some would disagree on that) oil is all you need to worry about. Just change the oil regularly and you'll be fine.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Supposed to reduce noise/friction etc....
      Our clutches run in the motor oil.. how much do you want the friction reduced there?

These motors go 200-300k miles in a lot of cases (Just not mine.. lol) on JUST oil. How many are you trying to get?

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I've used Lucas products with good benefits, just not in my bike.

I need to change my oil again this weekend, and will be using regular ole Valvoline from Advanced, no additives
        '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

I think what Tod was saying is that super-slick additives are likely to make your clutch slip. If you want good lubrication to your engine, just change it regularly. The book says every 3000 miles, but I do mine every 2000. Cheap insurance.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

didn't think about the clutch - what a dumass lol

Ok then good oil at regular intervals it is.

Thanks
            Si Parker
            '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Sip - Whatever oil you put in, look at the little sae circle. There should be no writing in the bottom half of the circle to insure compatibility with the wet clutch. I use the cheapest 20w50 I can find. The book also says to change your filter every 6000 miles, so I change mine every third oil change with the 2k schedule.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
              X