Farrman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farrman

How can I tell the diff. between XS 1100 & XJ 1100? One more thing my front brake is sticking how can I fix it.

thanks Rick

You can find out what type of bike you have by checking the first 3 numbers of the VIN # on the rt. side steering neck. The link below will take you to a chart to tell you what year/model.

http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html

As for the sticking brakes, it could be two things. Master cylinder fluid return hole is plugged, and/or crud in the calipers. Check the tech tips (xs11 info) at the top of this page under brakes, and that should lead you in the right direction. Welcome to XS11.com
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

One quick way is to look at the handlebars. The XS handlebars are a one piece tube from end to end. The XJ has 2 separate handles, one for each side that bolt to the tripple-tree. Posting a picture will definitely get a quick answer too. Welcome to the forum!

Oh, and Phil is right about the brakes. Open the front Master Cylinder and be sure to clean out the "spooge hole" (doa search for that term on here to find out more). It's a tiny orifice that lets the fluid back into the reservior after you let go of the handle. It's so tiny that I had to use my smallest sewing needle to get into the hole. Cleaning the calipers while you're at it would be a good thing too.
      Last edited by CatatonicBug; 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
      X