difference between 80 std engine &81 spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between 80 std engine &81 spec

ok threw a rod on my 80 std this weekend,now i just found a 1981 midnight special parts bike(no title) for a couple hundred and would like to get an idea of what i am up against when i swap the engines over or use it for parts.i tried the search and everything i found is mostly cosmetic,tanks,forks seats,gauges lights and such, i think that the transmission internals are the same as with the engine but i remeber reading somewhere here that there is something different about them,thanks inadvance for the help xs gurus.
    79 xs11sf
    80 xs11g-bagger
    81 xs11g-project(trike/chop?)
    80 xs400 special(wife's trainer)

Engine would be a clean swap! All you would need to do is keep the 80 carbs and advance unit.(this is the left side crank cover). If the MNS engine is good, I'd go for the "black" look, and do the swap. I WOULD check a few of the parts, such as the "U"joint on the drive shaft, while you do the swap. Total time should be about 8 hours for the swap. If you can entice one of the "local" members with a beer or two, it may only take 6.
    PS, I do need a few cosmetic parts for a MNS, so I may be able to help with a LITTLE bit of the cost.
    Last edited by DiverRay; 04-07-2009, 08:53 PM.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

mns parts

i was planning on giving everyone on this site first chance once i finish getting what i need for both my bikes. i was thinking the same think with the black look as well,really cant see the engine under the vetter with the lowers installed anyway.but from the pic i got off craigslist a while back the parts bike appears to be mostly intact except for the seat.
      79 xs11sf
      80 xs11g-bagger

Comment

The one thing I would like to get is SMALL. I need th gold trim that is on the tank. I could use the top covers for the carbs, but that isn't that big a deal at the moment.
        When you do use the the MNS engine, check all the wire connectors. If you have one that is different, try and pull the one that works off the 80 engine. That will help keep it a "plug and play" type of swap.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

Persoanlly... I hate to irritate the vultures circling over your MNS parts.... but the bike would be worth much more (And look better in my opinion), not to mention much rarer.. if you made the running bike out of the special. I hate to see one that complete get canibalized. Is it that tough to get a title there?

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"You gonna use those parts?"

Don
            currently own;
            1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
            2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Yeah, I'm a REAL vulture....
              All I WAS asking about is the plastic trim that is on the tank. I know I CAN buy it NEW, just have not looked up the parts from an OEM supplier.
              As he has a Standard, I can understand his wanting IT running, and not have to worry about the MNS.
              But then Tod has not pulled any bikes down for parts as of yet, has he?
              Hey, Tod, If you have a good spare engine, you may be able to get a "bad" core and some money for it from a member here???
              xs1100rider,
              I DO agree with Tod, that if you can work out the title, the MNS WOULD be worth getting in shape. On the other hand, if you can't find the time and money now, maybe do an engine swap, but keep all the MNS parts and keep looking for a "new" engine. Then you can put the MNS back together, and have TWO bikes! one a daily ride, and one for the "nice Sunday cruise".
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

title is a pain

everyone is entitled to there opinion but i love my full dress bagger,and i alredy have a second bike that the trans is bad in so parting the mns would be two fold. i tried to get a title here twice before and after several attemps and many a wasted day at the dmv and paying of inspection fees, i was declined a title and ending up either giving the car away to friend in need or sellling it for far less than its worth due to no title. i had a 1976 rd 400 in almost perfect condition(8k),but had to sell it for only $700 becuase the title i received was signed in the wrong spot and could not track down po on title. i typically wouldn't canibalize a bike like this but for two hundred bucks i cant beat it and all the local shops want over three hundred bucks for just the engine with no guarantee or anything.
                79 xs11sf
                80 xs11g-bagger

Comment

Hey, Tod, If you have a good spare engine,
                  LOL.. You crack me up! I have lots of engine PARTS... and a couple engines with bad cranks/blocks.. but no good spare ones. I do have a 2nd complete XJ I need to work on.. but that motor needs to stay in it.

And yes.. I have parted one out.. that had already been picked over pretty good.

And as xs1100rider stated... everyone is entitled to their opinion... even though theirs is WRONG!

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I believe that you may also ...

find the exhaust studs too short for the Standard exhaust flanges. If this turns out to be true, as it is for earlier Specials vs. Standards, you will need to find some longer ones or swap the ones from your defunct Standard motor onto the Special head.
                    80G Mini-bagger
                    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

not a mns just a 79 special

went to pick up bike today and upon arrival started walking up to bike and noticed nothing was black or gold,then i noticed the kick starter and checked the neck and found manufacture date of 2/79.then i looked at the petcocks and saw the octypus.but for 150 bucks it is complete minus the title and it does turn over by the kicker,not trying to start it just making sure not seized. will try to post pics from home this weekend.
                      79 xs11sf
                      80 xs11g-bagger

Comment

Working...
                      X