750 Final Drive Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 Final Drive Conversion

I was wondering if anyone has the pictures that go with the 750 final drive conversion in the modification section?
    Stacy Clontz Farmville, NC
    1980 XS1100SG
    1971 Maico 400 Square Barrell
    1973 Honda CR250M

Hey there Magnum,

Glad to see you got logged on! That tech tip was made a while back, and the owner of the photos that had them stored off site was relieved of his privileges, and he took his photos down. However, I had saved them, and then uploaded them to the sites server during the UPGRADE that happened last year. They are included in the NEW tech tip that you can find from the DROP DOWN menus at the top of any page....XS11 Info, Tech Tips, Mods, Tranny.....! I just didn't want to bother RELINKING them in the old Forum version of the tech tip.

I thought I had put a LINK and reminder in the OLD FORUM tip about finding the photos and such in the drop down tech tips!? I'll check to see if it's still there, but pretty sure it is!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks. I should have just looked around a little on the site. I just picked up a 750 fd on eBay. Hope to try this out before to long, if work will allow enough time. I also changed my email to a Yahoo account. Maybe that will work better
      Stacy Clontz Farmville, NC
      1980 XS1100SG
      1971 Maico 400 Square Barrell
      1973 Honda CR250M

Comment

IF you edit your user info and change your email address, the site will put you back on awaiting email confirmation status, and will send a NEW confirmation email to the new email you editted, so be sure you type it correctly, and then check it for the confirmation email, open, and click on the enclosed link to be re-registered, and your status will then be REGISTERED again!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Will it work the other way too?

My son has an XS750 that he's thinking of putting a sidecar on.
          Just because the swap works one way don't necessarily mean it'll work the other.
          Will an XS11 final drive swap into an XS750?
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred - My guess would be maybe to no. The drive shaft's aren't the same length. When going to the 750 rear end on an 11 you put a little bushing (17mm) on the 11 drive shaft to get the extra length. Don't know how you would shorten the 750's. Then again, you might be able to use an 11 drive shaft, but I don't know if that will fit.

the owner of the photos that had them stored off site was relieved of his privileges, and he took his photos down. However, I had saved them, and then uploaded them to the sites server during the UPGRADE
            Devlish clever, you administrators .
            Last edited by dbeardslee; 04-08-2009, 10:18 AM.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

XS11 final drive

Hey, I was wondering the same thing about transferring the 1100 final drive onto the 750. Any ideas that if it is feasible and what the change would do for performance?

I have two non-running 750Ds sitting around and was just wondering.....
              Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
              Owner of:
              1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
              140 mains
              45 pilot jets
              Floats at 24mm
              Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

On the final drive side, the BIG difference is the 750 has the seal on the drive shaft. I would think if you greased the splines BEFORE assembly, and checked the over all throw with the 750 shaft installed, it SHOULD work! You my have to "adjust" the shaft length, but it should NOT be that big a deal. I could be wrong, but then I have NOT tried it as of yet.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

seems like when I looked at the splines on the 750 and 1100 shafts during my swap, they were definitively different sizes so I don't think the reverse swap will work with the 11 shaft into a 750 middle drive. shortening the 750 shaft raises strength and balance issues previously addressed. Besides with the extra weight and rolling resistance of a sidecar, i would think the last thing you would want to do is raise the gearing on the 750. seems like it would need to be shortened even more but what do I know. TexasRookie
                  Texas Rookie - NW Houston
                  79 xs11F (in process, down but not out)
                  04 Ducati ST4s (current daily driver, recently retired from occasional track bike duty, too $cary to think about crashing)
                  2001 Suzuki SV650 track bike (setting up for some adult fun next year)
                  newest acquisition - Black on Black 78 XS11 with 81 motor waiting patiently in Cleveland Ohio (Insanity!!!...no thanks I've got plenty)

Comment

And on top of that it's made out of really really really hard steel. Don't know if the swing arm and u-joint could make the transition, but I'm thinkin' that's about the only way to swap 'em. Don't know that you can really shorten the drive shaft without taking something out of the middle - which is a bad idea. The end that fits in the u-joint is the only one you might think about modifiying, but all that's going to do is reduce how much spline is engaged by the u-joint. I don't think it will go in past the splines.
                    Last edited by dbeardslee; 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

willitfit

yeah, it'll swap over. You just have to remove the XS750 driveshaft to FD seal, because the XS11's FD splines extend all the way to the end whereas the XS750's FD splines do NOT. That is the reason for the bushing when putting the 750 FD on the 11.......
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock
                      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

The results of such an exchange?

Thanks for the information; I may try it once I get the 750s up and running again. I still would like to know what effect it would have on performance. Would it give the bike more low end torque in exchange for higher RPMs at cruising speeds? I am guessing here anyone else with more experience would probably have a better idea.

Owner of:
                        1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
                        140 mains
                        45 pilot jets
                        Floats at 24mm
                        Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

draggin'

You answered the question. I looked all this up and IIRC. the XS750 when it went from model D to E changed the """MIddle Drive"""" to a higer ratio to get a quicker off the line start. Put on the XS11 FD to the 750/850 and you have a drag race upper hand.
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock
                          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Win-win

Thanks XSchop, you confirm what I have read after searching the Triples site.

Pat Kelly says
                            "Using the 1100 final drive on the triple will make your triple quicker off the line. Yamaha used that gear ratio to get the 1100 into the 11 second bracket to make it the fastest production bike in 77.
                            So if you want you triple to be really quick (but will sacrifice some top speed) then use an 1100 final drive."

I think that it would be really cool to swap my XS1100 and XS750 drives, it sounds like a win-win move. I would get a better big cruiser and a quicker smaller bike for the back roads.

Owner of:
                            1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
                            140 mains
                            45 pilot jets
                            Floats at 24mm
                            Running Rich

Comment

rman - I wonder if you could just take the entire swing arm assemblies with the FD's attached, and move them from bike to bike. No muss, no fuss.

Comment

Working...
                              X