'81 XS1100SH Brakes Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '81 XS1100SH Brakes Question

I have read in a few posts that the brake sys. on the Specials is the same as the linked systems that are found on the '82 XJs'. While I no longer own the '81 Streetfighter...when I installed the SS brakelines there was a splitter up front for the front calipers. A single hose ran from the front reservior down to a splitter and then 2 lines from the splitter to the respective front calipers. Out back a single line from the rear reservoir to the rear caliper was observed. My question is...Is this the normal setup for the '81 Special?? The problem is that this rear brake takes very little brake pedal pressure to get the rear wheel to lock up. The new owner is wondering how this can be remedied? Is it possible the the original owner de-linked the system...was it linked in the first place???
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Pressure?

Not sure about the 81 but my 80SG has two separate brake systems ,front and rear , just as you described. If the systems are not linked I'm guessing the fluid is not flowing back into the resevoir. Hence the line and caliper are already pressurized. Ask him to put it on the centre stand and spin the rear wheel for drag. An improper play adjustment in the brake might also cause the same issue. Rick
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Hey BNE,

The 81 MNS is the same as the 82XJ, but the regular 81 SH is the same as the other XS's, no linked system!

To reduce the amount of brake pressure he's putting on the rear, he can adjust the rod that pushes up into the master cylinder from the brake lever, moving it farther away from the MC, so that when he presses down on the lever, he will have to press it much farther to create the same amount of pressure, so he should NOT be able to lock it up so easily. Or...he could also reposition the actual foot pedal lower, again requiring him to push it farther down before being able to apply so much brake pressure.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Excellent advice and Thanks on clarifying that it is the MNS that have the linked systems. I will indeed pass this info along
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
        X