HELP,dumped all the oil out and died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP,dumped all the oil out and died

i was giving the wife a ride on sunday when all the sudden my bike dumped all the oil out(can't tell where from) smoked like a train,i pulled the clutch in and she died. so left wife with bike ran(literally) home to get the truck to haul her back home. got it home and started looking for the source and could not find where the oil came from. so filled it back up,removed the plugs and tried to start it.all i got was a banging noise from the bottom end. i did pull the valve cover off but everything appears to be working properly and the plugs were tan when removed.so is there a way to look at the bottom end with it in the bike or is this a teardown project now. thanks for any advice to all the xs gurus.
    79 xs11sf
    80 xs11g-bagger
    81 xs11g-project(trike/chop?)
    80 xs400 special(wife's trainer)

Have you inspected the oil pan? Sounds like you may have thrown a rod, and ventilated the crankcase.

Comment

Further diagnostics required but..

Worst case scenario: I would think that if a bike throws all it's oil out in a hurry, there should be a visible hole. Does however sound like a catastropic failure, probably a rod. You could try turning it over by hand with the spark plugs removed to see if all the pistons move up and down but If it has thrown a rod it is unlikely that you will be able to turn it over. The end of the rod still attached to the crankshaft probably punched a hole in the crankcase and jammed.
      Grabbing the clutch fast probably saved you and your wife from a nasty spill.
      Bad luck but good work on your part
      Rick
      I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Probably has a window in the bottom of the block, that would explain the smoke (oil on the pipes) and the noise (broken rod) the hole may be very small or may only be a crack, that would be why you didn't see it, doesn't take much oil on the pipes to make a bunch of smoke.

here is an XS11 engine I ran across on craigs list....

http://flint.craigslist.org/mcy/1108560483.html

Good luck.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          Have you inspected the oil pan? Sounds like you may have thrown a rod, and ventilated the crankcase.
          aka Put a leg out of bed. Desperate hope.... if no big hole, check the oil filter housing, as it sounds as though you had not gone far.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Did you recently change the oil and filter? Did you perhaps get the filter housing turned the wrong way and the bolt got tight but it was not seated correctly and dumped the oil out there?

As to your description of the after home diagnostics, sounds bad. Some of the more experienced may correct me, but it could be you ran on no oil and wiped a bearing bad enough to eggshape a rod end or wrist pin hole at the piston and that is the banging if it continues to turn over with the banging.

When I pulled the oil pan off for my 2nd gear repair, at least with the countershaft and gears out, I could get a decent view of my crank and rod ends.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by xs1100rider View Post
              all i got was a banging noise from the bottom end.
              sorry dude..this is never a good sign, follow the advice given and check the oil for metal shaving's best of luck

S!
              1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

Comment

found oil source

as it turns out my oil cooler line burst.found a donor bike for a motor to use till i can save up to buy the needed parts to rebuild the original motor for my bagger.so for the time being i still get to put my knees in the breeze.
                79 xs11sf
                80 xs11g-bagger
                81 xs11g-project(trike/chop?)
                80 xs400 special(wife's trainer)

Comment

Working...
                X