Pictures Needed To Identify Missing Components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures Needed To Identify Missing Components

I have a 1979 XS1100 that recently had some components stolen off of it. The parts that I have identified as missing so far are as follows:

CDI box
    both coils
    voltage regulator

I know there are more electrical components missing, but I don't know which ones or where they are located. What I need is pictures of the electrical system so I can identify the components and their location. Can anyone point me to where I might find such pictures? I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer.

I do not have that detaield of pictures and have an 81 special. Is yours a Std or a Special?

Another idea would be to go through a wiring diagram and trace it out. Kind of a PITA but one way to REALLY learn your bike!

Lucky you have the earlier CDI that is more easily found (not that they are lying around like candy).
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

How do I know if it is a std or special? If it has anything to do with the side covers, those just say "XS Eleven".

Comment

Not that I think there is any differences to what your asking about, the much smarter sparky types on here can tell you though.

Specials will have the round headlight and gauges along with round turn signals. Also the gas tank on a special is more of a tear drop style as opposed to the Std tank is more straight back and has indents in the sides. Another key identifier is the forks, the Stdhas the front wheel mounted directly under or at the ends of the forks, the special has it mounted up the forks a few inches and on the leading side of the forks.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

If it just says xs eleven, it's probably a standard. All the specials I've seen say so on the badges. You can usually tell by the tank (unless it's been modified). The standards have the 5.8 gallon square-looking tank, and the specials have the 4 gallon tear-drop variety (as DGXSER said). A trip to the yamaha parts fiche might help you determine what's missing. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hey Cloaked,

Sorry to hear about your recent LOSS!

Okay, first, the ignition coils are actually an easy replacement, and you'll have STRONGER more powerful coils. Check out the MikesXS Coils upgrade in the Tech Tips, Mods, Electrical section, you will just need to bypass the ballast resistor. You'll need to order plug wires and caps as well.

Secondly, you don't even need to get a TCI. Again, in the tech tips, you can actually put one together from old car parts, but if you aren't that technically inclined, then you are looking for the TCI with the 2H7- prefix, which fits the 78-80 series. The 81 uses a 4RO-, and the 82XJ a 10M-.

Thirdly.....(is that a word? ) instead of spending $100 for an OEM Reg/Rect, or getting an unknown quality/functioning used one off of Ebay, look at the Parts For Sale Forum, in the STICKY thread, find GEEZER's replacement Reg/Rect unit, with more ROBUST components and will charge stronger at a lower rpm!!

Yamaha provides an ONLINE Microfiche, and you can see the location of the components, their approximate shape, etc. in the Electrical section, follow
            this link to the parts site, just go directly to the parts section, select Motorcycles, your year and model number, and look around!!
            Good Luck!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by cloaked_chaos View Post
              I have a 1979 XS1100 that recently had some components stolen off of it. The parts that I have identified as missing so far are as follows:

CDI box
              both coils
              voltage regulator

I know there are more electrical components missing, but I don't know which ones or where they are located. What I need is pictures of the electrical system so I can identify the components and their location. Can anyone point me to where I might find such pictures? I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer.
              Have you tried www.ronniesmailorder.com. This site shows most parts for most bikes in detail and could be of help. Good luck.
              David

79 XS1100f std
              80 CB900f
              80 RD350lc
              81 RD350lc
              86 RZ350
              89 TZR250
              76 XT500
              77 TT500
              34 Chev 454ci t/h 400
              etc

Comment

I would also be looking around the neighborhood for another XS. Those are pretty specific parts to go missing all at once.

They aren't usable on any other bike, really, especially the TCI and regulator.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey.

Here is the link to Geezers web site
                  http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/index.html

Ride safe.

Steve
                  1980 XS100 SG Gone but not Forgotten really wish I could have kept it
                  1998 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Comment

i have a tci box if you still need one
                    careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Hi Cloaked Chaos, here's a picture of the positions of the electrical components - this is for the 1980 'G' model so may be a little different to your 1979 model.

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-12-2009, 12:05 AM.
                      Brian
                      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Missing parts

Check out this site and click on your make and model and you'll find all your missing.
                        Cheers
                        Peter.

http://www.ytcn.nl/archief/index.php...01950-1996/XS/

Comment

Thanks everybody for the awesome responses. With your help I was able to identify all missing parts:

Rectifier & Regulator Assembly
                          Ignition Coil Assembly 1&2
                          Ignitor Unit Assembly
                          Relay Assembly (Headlight)
                          Reserve Lighting Unit Assembly
                          Flasher Canceling Unit Assembly
                          Emergency Stop Switch Assembly
                          Flasher Relay Assembly

I have purchased all items except for the Emergency Stop Switch Assembly and the Flasher Relay Assembly. Both of these items are available on ebay, and they don't cost much, but neither of them has the rubber mount. I either need both parts with the mounts or if someone has just the mounts then I will buy those from you and the other parts from ebay. If anyone has either of these, please let me know.

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                          I would also be looking around the neighborhood for another XS. Those are pretty specific parts to go missing all at once.

They aren't usable on any other bike, really, especially the TCI and regulator.
                          I know exactly who stole them, but I can neither recover the parts nor prosecute the theft. I can't give any more details about it.

Comment

Originally posted by cloaked_chaos View Post
                            - - - I know exactly who stole them, but I can neither recover the parts nor prosecute the theft. I can't give any more details about it.
                            Hi CC,
                            I betcha gonna cut him off your Christmas list though, eh?
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              Hi CC,
                              I betcha gonna cut him off your Christmas list though, eh?
                              Of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X