Conversion of Special seat to cafe seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion of Special seat to cafe seat

I have an 82 Special that has the original stepped Special seat on it. The bike is otherwise modified to look more like a streetfighter, so the Special seat looks odd on it IMO. I want to try to convert to more of a cafe style seat (or even to fit a flat, standard style XS seat on it if it would fit). The problem with modifying the Special seat, is that the seat pan steps up in the back to clear the rear fender, so removing much foam from it seemingly would make the passenger portion painful. Any suggestions?

HEY NOT DEAD YET
    I HAVE AN IDEA!!
    How about selling me that seat therefor saving an original piece of equipment
    from being altered, and taking that money and finding a seat close to what your looking for
    I have the foam I'm just looking for a good pan or a whole seat for my sf
    just an idea
    let me know
    Gary
    1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Couple interesting ideas here. One, I thought the XS Special was last made in 81? Two, are not the 81/80 seats different than the 79 seats including on the specials??
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        Couple interesting ideas here. One, I thought the XS Special was last made in 81? Two, are not the 81/80 seats different than the 79 seats including on the specials??
        I believe you are correct on both counts. Especially the first one.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Sorry, it is an 81. Will a 80-81 standard seat fit on a Special?

GaryF, if I can find an alternative, I may consider it. The existing Special seat is very clean.

Comment

And I just checked you are right on the second one also
            Gary
            1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
              Will a 80-81 standard seat fit on a Special?
              No, not without extensive modification. The tank is a different length and the sidecovers are different and will interfere. 79 Special all by itself because of the location of the tail light. 80-81 Specials should interchange.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Phil the tank on this bike is a standard one put on it by the original owner...this was my '81 Streetfighter... Hey Drew!

Awww such a pretty bike!
                Last edited by madmax-im; 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

That looks like the 78-79 seat plastic in back, what year seat is that Madmax? Or is it an 81 special seat with a cowel in place of the grab bar?
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    That looks like the 78-79 seat plastic in back, what year seat is that Madmax? Or is it an 81 special seat with a cowel in place of the grab bar?
                    Not sure there but the original owner swapped out that tail so it might be from an '81 Std...nonetheless Drew does have the original tail sections as it came with the bike...including the seat rail
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey, Ben! Loving the bike, even if I am going deaf from the Kerker!

Yes, I think the cowl from a standard is screwed on to the back of the original 81 Special seat.

Comment

What???

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
                        Hey, Ben! Loving the bike, even if I am going deaf from the Kerker!

Yes, I think the cowl from a standard is screwed on to the back of the original 81 Special seat.
                        Drew is correct the cowl is attached to the seat...
                        Ha! I am already deaf without the hearing aids so life begins at 90... decibels that is I do believe there are baffles that could deaden the sound a bit..not sure if they're still in there..I'm no expert on Kerkers but I do love the sound...LOL I am glad you are happy with it...I know everytime I look at my pics of it ..I think I must have been nuts to sell...but at least it is appreciated for what it is...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X