pourin' gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pourin' gas

Its a 1980 MNS 1100.... when i first bought it a year ago it did not run very well. had myself convinced the carbs were gummed. rmvd carbs and dismantled. they were exceptionally clean [later found the prob to be bad wires]. any way, after i put them back on , now one of the floats stick [ i assume] cause it will pump gas out of air box. it will start fine, and run for a little bit, until it is given some throttle, then carb one starts pourin. any info what to look for when i get it off again??
    redbone
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Check to see if the gasket is bowed inward rubbing on the float or is the float bent outward rubbing the gasket. Also hold the carbs right side up and see if the float hangs down to far and gets caught/binding preventing the float to rise up.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Remember that fuel only flows when the engine is turning, thanks to the vacuum system. You may only have a stuck float, and you may be able to "un-stuck" it by whacking the float bowl with a screwdriver handle right after you start it up. Worth a shot anyway.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

A plugged up vent will make 'em pour gas too. If you take 'em apart make sure gasket material hasn't migrated into the vent hole. Also, don't overtorque the bolts that hold the bowl on for two reasons. Over time it can flatten out the gasket causing the problem red bandit mentioned (float hanging on gasket), and the other reason is those bolt holes are pretty easy to strip - steel into aluminum, and all. That being said I'd do what catatonicbug mentioned with a screwdriver. I've got one that sticks every once in a great while, and the back end of a screwdriver has freed it up every time it's done it. I wouldn't do a John Henry on it - just a couple firm taps should do it.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
        X