no crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no crank

OK so I just got done switching to my new fuse block. The bike was pretty torn apart but would crank before I changed out the block. Now that I have changed the block the no crank from the starter. No pop or click what so ever at the starter solinoid. I checked all the connections behind the fuse block and they are snug. I jumped the solinoid as stated earlier in another post and it cranks. I checked the connections at all of the fuses And I have power in and out when the key is on. I was careful to label and do the wires one set at time to insure that they were not crossed. What else could I have done??

Help!!!!!

Gary
    Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

Hey Gary,

Did you use the stab connector fuse block that TC sells or oen like it? I am no sparky type guru by any stretch. Only thing I can think of is if a wire is not tight in a connector perhaps?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I don't know if it related but how about the main fuse-is it blown?Just a thought.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Hey there Gary,

Okay, you've got power going to the solenoid and to the starter. BUT is the solenoid switch working? First, check to make sure that the Emergency on/off switch on the right handlebar isn't accidentally in the OFF position. Next, take a jumper wire, and connect it to the solenoid where the blue/white small wire connects to it, and then jump to ground with the key on. IF the starter turns, then you need to investigate the starter wire, the button, switch housing, etc.! But IF the starter doesn't turn, then the solenoid is most likely bad.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

crank

Jumping the solinoid causes it to crank. Before I completely pull the stupid switch housing apart where is the tip sensor... and Dbeardslee said he thought I might have another main fuse. I have 4 fuses running to the new fuse box.. What I assumed was the main. and 3 others.. He stated something about a fuse on the left side of the bike. Where would I find this one.
          Gary King
          79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
          bobbed with love.

Comment

Left side of bike -should have a rubber housing.Gently pull the housing off and you should see 2 fuses.A spare fuse and another fuse.Is it blown?
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

A wild fuse chase!

Hey Gary,

Don't bother looking for the left hand fuse, because it won't be there. The 78-79's have the MAIN fuse in with the 4 fuses in the panel. In 80-81 the extra MAIN fuse was moved/added to the left side!

IT goes, MAIN, HEADlight, Turn, Ignition.

The Tipover sensor is under the gastank, near the front of the frame above the ignition coils, says UP or such on it's side, can be unplugged to bypass.

Did you try the jumper wire from the blue/white wire connector of the solenoid to a GROUND?? IF that makes is turn over, THEN you can investigate the handlebar switch. BTW, the Emergency Kill switch can also get corroded, etc, so be sure to take it apart when you get the handlebar switch covers apart to check it out!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X