Middle and Final Gear Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle and Final Gear Oil

Hey ya'll hope you can help. I just recently got my 82 XJ running. I was looking at the lubrication specs in the service manual. It calls out 10W30 for the Engine Oil and SAE 80 for the midle and final gear oil. WHere is this oil put? I am going back outside to take clothes off line and then look again for the filler hole.

Cliff
    Whew, more work here than I thought!!!

on the final drive, look for an allen bolt at three o'clock, that's the final drive fill hole plug. look for the same allen bolt plug on top of the middle drive unit kind of in the middle, a little right of directly on top of the big chrome cover on the side of the middle drive unit. hop my vague directions help, have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Who's service manual do you have??? It does not show these locations and indicates 10W30. Not any manual I have seen.

Most manuals indicate at least 10W40 and only in cold weather, 20W50 or I am running 20W40 IIRC. The final drive level check and fill is the hex head bolt at the back of the drive level with the axle (approximately). The middle drive is about right above the kickstand, or below the air filter area.

If changing fluids, be sure which bolt you pull to drain the oils, more than a couple confuse the middle drive drain plug for the engine oil drian plug. Engine oil drain is on the front of the pan near the oil filter. Middle drive drain is more toward the middle/rear of the bike. HTH
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Cliff - you'll also need the little dual purpose dip stick to check your levels. If you don't have one there's probably a thread around here somewhere that will tell you how to make one.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The middle and final gear drives take 90W gear oil. You know that stuff that really stinks. I like Castrol but there are other good brands too.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
            The middle and final gear drives take 90W gear oil. You know that stuff that really stinks. I like Castrol but there are other good brands too.

Geezer
            Also called Hypoid Gear Oil. 80/90 Multi grade easily found in Auto store.
            Check for Oil threads for more information on engine oil than you can possibly imagine. Ask about tires next for 29 + different views on that topic
            Oh welcome to the madhouse
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Found them and then some

Thanks for the help. I came back in and checked the site and then the bike they were right where ya'll said. I then checked the service manual (LIT-11616-02-78) and found where they were listed - needed to clean bifocals. Took it for a ride - boy its great. However, when I got back I noticed the forks were leaking. Another job.
              Whew, more work here than I thought!!!

Comment

Working...
              X