Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dick,

Dynamite was heavily considered

Too late...I've already thrown the inner pipe over the fence into my neighbor's yard and denied I did it

It is true that pipes need a certain amount of back pressure to achieve certain performance results. The optimum size for the XS650 is 1 1/2 pipe at 32 inches in length. Therefore, those that want to run 1 3/4 inch pipes because the beefier pipe looks better are recommended to use inserts to choke the inside diameter a bit.

With that said, I'll be honest with you and say that I don't really know the performance results that will occur. A dyno would tell the true story, but I think it will help the performance some and let the 1200cc kit work a little better.

Anyway, what I'm really after is the sound. I have a set of aftermarket shorty reverse cone mufflers on a pepped up 81 XS650 that sounds awesome. The mufflers are a straight through design with perferated inner tube with fiber packing. It's the perfect combination for me in that it has a nice grumble but mellow enough to not be irritating like a fully open header

And...you guys have to keep in mind that I'm too old to strap on a steal shoe again, but my hero's have still always been Flat Trackers

I appreiate all comments.

Thanks,

Masher
    My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

baffle

Page 288 of dennis kirk catalog.They have kerker baffles.The same one ive got and the same one my dad had in his 78 e.Its the compitition baffle.Ive never seen that monstrocitie {sp check}that you have.But be fore warned its kinda loud but my bike runs great.With thanks to PlaneDick
      Pete J

Comment

Well Buckaroos, it looks like Ol' Tex Masher might have just found the end of the long dusty trail After all this work on the muffler I got around to inspecting the headers and I think I have to shoot this horse on the basis of a mercy killing Take a look.

Those holes weren't that big until I started poking around with a awal. The pictures on fleabay showed all the locations that holes broke through, but the problem turns out that the bottom two header pipes are pretty much rusted through I noticed I could move a few of the holes in with my finger. So I got my awal out of the tool box and started exploring. You can see where I opened what used to be pin holes into hugh gaps

I took it to the local performance shop for a second opinion and the diagonosis is to throw it out in the street and leave it Oh well...like I said earler I didn't pay much for it because I knew this might be the case

So until further notice I think it is time to close this thread down But, I'm in the market for a 4 into 1 if anyone has an extra No Mac's though...just doesn't fit the look I'm going for. Kerker, SuperTrapp, Jardine would work...perferably one with less rust
        My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

Working...
        X