first time ride on a xj1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time ride on a xj1100

finally got mine running good enough to take it for a short ride friday. still need to tweak the carbs a little more and a few other things. got no tranny problems so far. i can see why these bikes are so popular,got to get adjusted to the rear rising up on blast off. these things are freaking rockets!!!!!!!!

these things are freaking rockets!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, when they're running right they'll definitely suck your brains out and throw 'em on the road behind you. Congrats on the first ride.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The REAL fun is once you have it dialed in! If you do a "proper" take off, too the guy on the bike next to you, the bike will "leap" off the line!
      If you can keep the front end just on the ground, and the back end is rising, the bike looks as if it is leaping off the line, and the road. Great fun with the HD crowd!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
        Yeah, when they're running right they'll definitely suck your brains out and throw 'em on the road behind you. Congrats on the first ride.
        Damnit. I knew I lost something out there.....
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

as far as i know i got the only xj1100 where i live. it's gonna be sweet to wave bye-bye to those harleys on a 26 year old bike!!! i have nothing against harley the bike i like all bikes. i just don't like that better than you attitude!! btw i also own a 1979 kawasaki kz650 which will keep up with harleys on bottom end

Comment

The power of these bikes is awesome.I think its funny to see the look on other riders faces when they see how powerful they are.
            Just holding on during a hard launch makes me grin ear to ear.It almost feels like the bike wants to take off without me.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hey there BcknBlkBird,

I remember my 81SH having the bucking bronco style ride shortly after I brought it home from Japan, and continued to have that no matter how I set the dampening settings on the rear shocks.

Once I rebuilt the bike, and put on just some cheap Monza shocks, that bucking bronco disappeared. The new shocks had plenty of dampening, and the rear didn't rise during accelleration, however the FRONT does!

You might try adjusting the dampening settings. There is a thread on rebuilding the XJ rear air shocks replacing the air seals, but don't know if anything can be done regarding the dampening, vs. just putting on new shocks!?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

the po put on a new set of progressive shocks. i think it's kinda cool. gives a new meaning to the phrase "time to raise on up outta here".

Comment

I've had mine for several years now and remember the first time the light turned green, she just raised up and took off like a rocket, big change from my old honda.

Comment

Working...
                  X