82 XJ1100 windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 XJ1100 windshield

Where can I find a nice small windshield that I can use on my 82 XJ1100 with those funky handlebars. I don't want a large fairing but just a little shield to knock the wind off.
    1978 Yamaha XS1100 standard with way too much $$ invested.

Hey there Harris,

If you look at the other thread in this forum about replacement windshield, you'll see a couple of pictures of the one I made for my bike, after the one I had got broken. It was a basic chest protector type only. It had come with the brackets to mount to round handlebars, but I didn't like that, so I took some 1/8" stock flat brackets, drilled some holes, and used the top triple clamp bolt to secure the bracket to the steering frame, and then the post portion of the shield clamp bolted to that so I didn't have to rely on those wimpy round handlebar clamps!!!!

You can get these little shields from JCWhipme, Dennis Kirk, and several other locations, just search for fairings!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, I like yours ok but I don't have one at all to use as a template. I was looking for someone who has modified a universal clamp on type to work on these square handlebars that way I could find out just how they modified it to clamp to the triple T or whatever they did to make one work. I need to deflect some of the 70mph wind. I am getting to old for that.

Comment

National Cycle makes a deflector screen and a square handlebar hardware kit to go with, afaik it is still available.
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Well, I just went to the National Cycle web site, and looked throughout their listing of hardware for their shields, they showed brackets for mounting to 1" and 7/8" round bars, clamps for fork tubes, but NO SQUARE bar mounts!?

What I had described in my last post WAS how I adapted a simple screen to mount to the bike without having to use those round clamps! All of these shields have threaded posts that the bolt that goes thru the round clamps screws into to tighten the round clamp. I just used that bolt and post, and attached it to a flat piece of steel with a hole drilled in it, ran the bolt thru the steel and tightened it into the post that comes with the shield mounting kit. I then took the other end of that flat metal bracket and had another hole drilled in the end that allowed me to run the long bolt that secured the top part of the triple tree fork tube. It doesn't clamp onto the handlebars at all!!!!

JC WHitney sells a basic shield for $54.99, you get the mounting posts with the shield, I just didn't use the round clamp parts! Dennis Kirk also sells very basic shields, I think I ordered mine with my replacement clutches laste year to get the order over $100.00 to get free shipping!!!

BTW, I see you live in Trinity, NC, just looked it up in the atlas, I'll be taking trip to Duke U. in Durham weekend of 17th, but won't be riding the bike, going to a medical conference. We drove past your area last year on our way to the Asheville Classic Yamaha bike rally last October. It's kinda short notice, are you planning on going to any rallies, there's the XSEast2003 Memorial Day Weekend in Pa. Okay, enough off topic chatter. HTH.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I will try to mount using your method to mount that windshield. The directions might come together for me once I have a windshield.

I am trying to get all the bugs worked out of this bike so I can take it on some longer rides. Right now I haven't taken it more then 20 miles from the house. The previous owner didn't take as good a care of it as I do my bikes.

Comment

I have a National Cycle shield on mine. I ran the bolts through the hole that is already in the handlebar half way up. Bottom part of shield mounted to the fork tubes. Shield mounts perfectly with no hassles, looks great and works wonderfully (no bugs on my jacket ).
              The only known XJ1100 Interstate

Comment

Brian, on Tuesday I went for a ride with some folks, we visited Carolyne in Port Angeles at the bike store she works at.

She has a Slipstream deflector screen on her XJ, and was able to use the hardware that came with it to mount to the round part of the handlebars just in front of the grips. She had to move one of the grips out just a little bit, I forget which one. hth
                Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I should have me a shield in a couple of weeks. Recovering from the shock of having my seat recovered. $160. I asked if that was gold plated vinyle or something. Maybe it will last another 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                  X