XS750 Kick start lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS750 Kick start lever

So I bought one of these off eBay... 76 IIRC. My research said that it would work on my 79SF.

I got it today and put it on. It hits the brake lever where it pivots! GRR! the lever in question is pretty straight... the ones I saw for the xs750s sorta bowed out.

Did I get had? Is this not of the bike the eBay guy says it is?
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

Originally posted by corey View Post
    So I bought one of these off eBay... 76 IIRC. My research said that it would work on my 79SF. I got it today and put it on. It hits the brake lever where it pivots! GRR! the lever in question is pretty straight... the ones I saw for the xs750s sorta bowed out. Did I get had? Is this not off the bike the eBay guy says it is?
    Hi Corey,
    Not everyone on e-bay knows exactly what they are selling so you could be looking at an honest error rather than a deliberate fraud.
    I just looked at my son's XS750 and it's kickstart lever kicks out straight for about an inch and a half before it curves up.
    The one you bought fits on the XS11's splineshaft so it is most likely from some kinda Yamaha. Our XS650s are still snowbound in the back shed so I can't check them out right now but I think the XS650 kickstart pedal goes straight up from the swivel so it may be one of those.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yeah, I didn't figure he did it on purpose. I should have known what I was looking for, first.

I was thinking on bending the thing in a vice. Its SO close to clearing. I don't have anything else to do with, so i might as well try, right?

...or then I could just leave it on for aesthetics!

Thanks Fred
      Corey J. Bennett
      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

I would definitely NOT bend it cold, get an oxy/acetelyne torch or something and get it just barely red, then put some "umph" on it to bend it. then once you've bent it quench it in oil. Any old oil will do fine, unless you wanna be fancy then use any new oil
        1980 XS11SG
        Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
        Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
        ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Hi Corey,
          the kickstart won't bend cold unless you have access to a 20 ton press and suitable forming dies.
          Like BigDick sez, torch it. Mind you after it's been torched ,bent & oil quenched it won't be aesthetically pleasing at all.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

That's what I was figuring... I'll just search eBay for some more.

Anyone need a kicker of an XS650?!
            Corey J. Bennett
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
            X