79 XS11 Special Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 XS11 Special Carbs

Took the carbs in today and bead blasted them. Completely disassembled, cleaned, installed kits, new plastic floats, set floats heights to 24mm. Going to install them tomorrow.
    The '79 with brass floats calls for 25.7mm +/-1mm. However the '80 with plastic floats calls for 23mm +/- 0.5mm.

Richard

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
    Took the carbs in today and bead blasted them. Completely disassembled, cleaned, installed kits, new plastic floats, set floats heights to 24mm. Going to install them tomorrow.
    The '79 with brass floats calls for 25.7mm +/-1mm. However the '80 with plastic floats calls for 23mm +/- 0.5mm.

Man those carbs realy look good, good thing I dont have them, I would never put them on they look so good, lol
    1979 xs1100 f
    142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
    floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
    1978 gl 1000 goldwing
    1981 gl 1100 goldwing
    !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
    when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Nice job, Richard. What kind of equipment did you use?
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Oh god! you took the chrome off the outer two covers!

I'm with dbeard, unless you can clear coat em, it would be a shame to mess em up by installing them!
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I have a large blast cabinet in the shop of one of the buildings I manage. Large enough that I've done my header in it and a 21" front wheel from an old dirt bike. Glass beads, I have 2 large 10hp compressors that run the pneumatic systems in the building(until I get it all swapped to DDC )

At the house, I have a harbor freight hand held I've used on clyinders for a couple XJ's, XS's and the like. It works ok, but nothing like the one at work. Been trying to figure how I could get a long enough line from the basement at work to stretch outside on a weekend to blast the cylinders on the XS11 with my hand held .

BTW, the 2 outer caps were not chrome.
          The carbs stay clean quite a while with no problems.
          Richard

Comment

carbs

richard carbs look good. good job? you have been busy

Tonio
            tonio
            81 xs eleven special

Comment

Got them installed last night. Today I colortuned it and synced the carbs. I wasn't able to correctly time it as I lent my light out to a friend...Picked it up tonight though, near your neck of the woods Tonio. Will set the timing on it tomorrow.

The bike runs pretty good now. I have an Idle problem which I'm sure is related to swapping out the brass floats to the plastic floats. I set the float height to 24mm but I may have to set them to 23mm as the 80 with plastic floats were designed to be. Idle wont hold and sometimes races up near 2500rpm and then will almost stall when it finally settles down. But it gets down the road Great! Found out I have some clutch slippage once in 3rd getting on it above 6krpm. Checked adjustment and took it out again with the same results. Going to open it up tomorrow to inspect the plates as it has 54k on it.

Still waiting on the Title... But still have a couple to ride in the mean time!
              Richard

Comment

Checked adjustment and took it out again with the same results. Going to open it up tomorrow to inspect the plates as it has 54k on it.
                Don't forget to replace the clutch springs! They are the #1 cause of slipping clutches in a 30 year old bike!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

When I first took the SG for a spin, the clutch would not release with the lever. I had to 'tighten' up the adjustment at the clutch itself.

Next time I took it out, I got to the bottom of the driveway, and the clutch wouldn't grab fully. I had to take the cover off and 'loosen' the adjustment a bit.

Part way through the 30kms or so that day, the clutch again began to slip, so I loosened it some more, and ever since it has been fine.

I can only assume that the clutch 'dried' out while sitting, and as it reabsorbed oil it had to be readjusted and now is fine.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Try setting your float height according to the model carbs you have, not the type of float your using.
                    If you have the early model carbs i think the height is 25.7mm. Ive got the later model carbs so if im wrong with the height im sure sum1 will correct me.
                    btw the carbs turned out real nice.
                    Last edited by petejw; 04-05-2009, 05:00 AM. Reason: spellin
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Hey Pete,

Part of the problem is that this is a mixed/matched type of problem, using newer different styled floats in the older carb bodies. I thought that Jessie/81XSproject had done some testing and had found the setting required when using these newer floats. They are a different size, and probably a different buoyancy, etc., so some tinkering may be required to find the right position and fuel level vs. the OEM settings.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I did tests that compared float height vs fuel height. I set both old and new floats to the same float height and then measured the fuel heights. My results were that there was little to no difference between the old brass and the new plastic. They are a direct swap with no corrections needed. If you have 70's carbs you can put plastic floats in and set them to the stock 25.7mm.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                        X