Fork Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Seal Replacement

I have two questions concerning fork seal replacement. Every where I read seems to point to the standard having non-air forks, and using a different seal than the special. That said, my 80 standard appears to have air fittings on the top of the forks and I have a blown seal (leakage in small amounts but clearly more than just seepage).

Does the 80 standard have air forks or did the PO do something frankenstien to it? And just how hard is it to change these things as I don't have a garage to work on it in so I'm stuck working in the driveway/front yard (not even a carport as they have that full of stuff from moving and have it covered with a tarp).

Also if it does have air forks I'm not in a position to change to progressive springs and elimiated the air right now, but everywhere I look shows the same oil seal for the forks for standards from 78 through 81. IIRC air forks need a different seal (that has a double lip I understand). Do I order the special seals or are they different yet?

Thanks in advance.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

80 and up Standard came with air forks. The seals should be 37 X 49 X 8. I don't know if you can find those double lipped seals. I would run the regular seals, stock springs with no air. If you have too much sag, you can add a 3/4" spacer on top of the spring to stiffen it up a bit, or even increase the fluid level a bit.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Cy,
      I'm having a heck of a time removing the old fork seals. Any hints?
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      Putting it together........

Comment

Hey Giggity,

I hate to ask it, but did you remove the compression "C" ring above the seal first?? They can get corroded, rusty, etc. and can be a little difficult to see and differentiate from the seal!?

But if you have, then just a matter of pliers, a pry bar, whatever you can wedge or get a hold of it with to tear, lift, pry it out!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X