Bike running for the first time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike running for the first time.

I just got the bike to fire and run for the first time a couple of days ago. At first, the bike would rev to 5000 rpm and hang there but I soon realized that the throttle cable was just a little hung up and I got it freed up.

I haven't put the air box back on and I won't until everything checks out. I have fuel coming out of carb #2 while it's running and after pulling the headers off and cranking it, it sounds like I might have a vavle sticking. During the test runs I would get white smoke out of the exhaust from cylinders 1 and 2. I plan on changing the oil and running an oil additive through her to see if that might help. If that doesn't work, than I guess the next step is to pull the head and go from there.

Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
    '86 VF500F
    '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

It looks as if you need to stop the fuel leaking/flooding out of #2 carb as that is probably what is causing the white smoke out of your exhaust, too much fuel unburned is flowing through your machine. It looks as if the old clean carb job is on the list first.

Comment

I've recently gone thru the same thing on mine. With mine, the float for #2 was stuck in the open position and letting fuel pour out the air cleaner. When you clean the carbs, break down the racks and clean the choke units as well or you may have to go back in again later. Definatly run SeaFoam in your fuel to help clear things up. Mine's purring now
      Last edited by Silent; 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
      Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
      '07 FJR1300

Comment

Take a screwdriver and tap on the float bowl.The float could be hung up as they sometimes do.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Pull the fuel line to #1-2 and blow through it. If there is a bit of dirt on the seat it may dislodge it

Worth a shot.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
            Pull the fuel line to #1-2 and blow through it. If there is a bit of dirt on the seat it may dislodge it

Worth a shot.
            And if all else fails, pull the carbs and clean them, and while your in there put some inline fuel filters in there to prevent anything from getting into the needle valves (and remember the screens on the needle valve seat are your friends)
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The white smoke isnt gas its oil or water in you exhaust.If it sat for a while it may take a little while to reseat the rings.Ive seen that happen a few times on bikes that sit.
              Or your rings may be toast.
              It does sound like you have a carb problem too.
              You might try running some seafoam through it.It may help the carbs and the cylinders.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I'll pull the carbs off tomorrow and check the to make sure the float isn't getting tied up. I installed two inline fuel filters before hooking up the fuel lines to the carbs.

After I pull the carbs to check the float I'll run some Seafoam in the test fuel tank I have set up for testing the bike.

I doubt that there is any condesation or anything else in the exhaust since I just replaced the old mufflers with a set of Electraglide pipes before the initial start up of the bike. And the smoke is very persistant. The exhaust out of 2 and 3 is as clean as exhaust can be(if that makes any sense).

I'm gonna go ahead and change the oil along with some addtive to help keep things freshly lubricated as I know it won't hurt and the bike is due for one anyway.

Good feedback everyone. Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'll keep this updated tomorrow.
                '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
                '86 VF500F
                '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Comment

I installed two inline fuel filters before hooking up the fuel lines to the carbs.
                  I hope these were NEW MOTORCYCLE fuel lines. The automotive have a bad habit of shedding rubber on the INSIDE, causing the needles to stick.
                  As stated earlier, the smoke may clean up after running for about 200 miles. A little bit of seafoam into each spark plug hole before going in for the night will loosen up some of the crud. I would also put a big shot of it into a little bit of fuel in the tank. Try and get some into the carbs, and let it set for about an hour before trying to run the bike. It would smoke for a little bit, probably white, and you WILL smell the seafoam.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X