fork oil capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork oil capacity

does any one know the recommended fork oil volume for a 79 standard with standard springs? I perused the suspension threads and did not find the answer. All assistance appreciated as I am in the process of reassembly of the "beast". Texas Rookie
    Texas Rookie - NW Houston
    79 xs11F (in process, down but not out)
    04 Ducati ST4s (current daily driver, recently retired from occasional track bike duty, too $cary to think about crashing)
    2001 Suzuki SV650 track bike (setting up for some adult fun next year)
    newest acquisition - Black on Black 78 XS11 with 81 motor waiting patiently in Cleveland Ohio (Insanity!!!...no thanks I've got plenty)

212 cc according to Clymer
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    Putting it together........

Comment

10W is the recommended viscosity.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you've got the tubes off, it's real easy to change the fluid without taking the caps off. Hold the end down in a bucket with the drain plug out and squirt the old stuff out by pumping the tube. You can then lay it on its side with the drain hole up. I used a graduated horse syringe (50cc was the biggest I could find at Tractor Supply) with a 16 gauge needle. You can put the new fork oil in right through the drain hole - just go slow. It's a lot easier than trying to get those caps back on. Course if the forks are already assembled in the tripple tree, it's probably easier to just dump it in the top with the caps off. JAT
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
        X