SIDE COVERS - Metal or Plastic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIDE COVERS - Metal or Plastic?

I was trying to clean up the faded and worn looking side covers and did a light sanding. You would think that the covers were just plastic, but it sanded down to what bare metal would look like. I actually don't mind the way they look now, but if it's not plastic, I don't want to leave them unprotected.

Does anyone know if they are plastic or not? Also if I did still have to paint them, has anyone had decent luck with the Chrome spray paints? I know it won't beat the real thing, but for the side covers I was considering trying it.
    '84 XJ1100 Maxim

The side covers are definately plastic (abs i think)... and there would be no way to confuse them with metal.

Are you sure your talking about the 'side covers' ie the two plastic covers just below the seat?

Any other covers are aluminum, and obviously so...
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

i believe the xj side covers are aluminum on the outside with a plastic insert where it should have the Maxim badge.
      K. Johnson
      -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
      triple clean and boots
      -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
      replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
      -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
      $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Kewl, learn something new everday!

I had an '82 XJ650 Midnight Maxim, it's covers were the usual plastic, thought they would all be the same.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey Jamatta,

The XJ side covers on BNE's MadMaxim were also metal, but it's aluminum. I put them on my bench buffer, and they shined up really nicely. SO....you may have roughed them up a bit with the sandpaper depending on the grit, but if you have any buffing equipment, you could try it on them. You can get an almost chrome polished surface with the right buffing technique, and you won't need to paint them!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The little plastic insert on the side cover is held on with three metal "things". What are they called and is there a trick to getting them off without breaking the plastic?

here is a picture of one that was already loose enough to get off....the rest are too snug.

'84 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

So I couldn't get those "things"off. During the sanding of the outer aluminum I accidently scuffed the inner black plastic. So, I taped off and resprayed with some black paint, both covers. Just as I was admiring my work a snowball from my 5 year old lands right smack on top of the new paint. What a mess. I had to start over and ended up removing all the original paint to start fresh. Second spray...well apparently I didnt remove the paint thinner well enough so it was like water running from oil (probably pretty close to what actually happened) Round three...p!ssed off royally by now. Out to the hardware store for more supplied to ensure the thinner was removed. Sprayed again and at this point just glad it it sticking. Not smooth by any means, a shame as the cleaned up aluminum surrounds I am quite pleased with. I just need to get some metal poish or something to work out the fine lines that are quite pronounced in the picture, but not so much in person. I also sprayed the Maxim emblem as it was just yellow plastic with no original gold shine.

Perhaps someday when I figure out how to safely remove those - what the heck those anyway?) things that hold the plastic insert...I'll be able to prep it for a better finish. Oh well lesson learned the hard way..the story of my life with this bike!

Good night all
              '84 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by jamatta View Post
                The little plastic insert on the side cover is held on with three metal "things". What are they called and is there a trick to getting them off without breaking the plastic?

here is a picture of one that was already loose enough to get off....the rest are too snug.

Those are called 'pal nuts' and they're usually a one-time deal. To get them off, you generally need to break them. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers and try to lift one edge, then break little bits off until the rest comes off.

You should be able to get replacements at a well-stocked hardware store or bolt place.

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

A gentle touch with a fine burr in a dremel tool will get those little buggers off. Cut a wee slot across one side, pry off with a jewellers screwdriver, and replace them with new ones.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                  X