Speedometer electrical connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer electrical connections

Received a replacement speedo and I noticed the electrical connections are slightly different. My current one has all four wires together in a square single-connector. The replacement I received has the four wires separate with individual tension connectors (like the turn signals have) - but in 2 pairs...I'm sure I could change them over to a single four wire square connector but don't know how. Any suggestions?
    1979 XS1100 Special

If you don't mind cutting the plug off the old speedo, you could reattach it to the new unit using crimp on butt connectors. Leave at least a couple inches of wire protruding from the old plug. If you want to get real fancy, I think a member here somewhere has the original type factory pins that can be crimped on the new wires and installed into the old modular plug.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I think I'll try that - I have an old wrecked speedo that the plug is still good on (the unit is just crushed). I can use the plug from that one, which I know works fine - my current speedo died, and I know the unit itself never lit up either, so I'd like to avoid using any parts from the current unit because I'm not sure where the problem existed.

So I guess I could basically splice the wires together then or connect them in that way? I just need to figure out what wires match up with what ones in the plug.
      1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Shouldn't be too hard. For the guage lights, blu is the hot and blk is the ground. For the reed switch, you have blk/wht and grn/wht. If you're not using your self cancelling turn signals, don't worry about the last two. HTH
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

crazy tach

anybody have issues with there tach i have a 1980 xs11 midnight tach is all over im thinking a bad ground but got frustrated looking for it any hints ???????????

Comment

If you have an XS11 and you don't have a jumpy tach, your charging system probably isn't working Just a joke, most of us have a jumpy tach. Two years back i installed a new NOS tach and it's jumpy, too. Which leads me to believe it's a wiring issue, most likely dirty connections. Try cleaning all of your connectors that lead to the tach. That includes the connectors hidden behind the fuse box that connect to the alternator. Our tach gets it's signal from the alternator.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Comment

Randy...

"Our tach gets it's signal from the alternator."

Interesting. I learned something here. Thanks... Does the same apply to an XJ1100?
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

XJOK2PLAY:

My understanding after reading many postings is the XJ is another XS with an additional bell and maybe a whistle.

Comment

Working...
                X