Thinking of a bobber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of a bobber

Ok so ben left my place on sunday and i get a call about a 80 special and its raining and nothing better to do so Lori and I go for a drive to look at it well it was worth the drive he opens his garage and there it is in GREAT shape 20000 KM always stored inside and covered this guys dad bought it new. the only thing that looks bad on it is the seat he had it recovered well i think he did it yuk LOL. Anyways after falling over hearing what he wanted for it i loaded it very quickly (thought i heard him wrong) Not saying how much but lets just say it was a STEAL. Now i get it home put the charger on it check the oil new gas and runs like new so as i sit there and think do i realy need another bike it took about 2 seconds for me to decide that yes i do and after looking at this bike for a couple more hours and looking at bobbers the night befor i am thinking of doing up a old school one I know am i nuts to do it to such a nice bike but anyways. has anyong here done this and after doing it was it worth it or was it much better stock.

P.S. yes i know i have bought many over the last couple of months but i am realy only keeping the xj the xs bagger and this one ok and Lori's shadow

let me know what you think

thanks Jim
    Last edited by ossjughead; 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM.
    http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...all2008017.jpg

Are you talking about making it a rigid or just chopping off the back? I bought mine chopped already so I don't know how it handled before. It definitely took a while to get used to. I know what it's capabilities are now and it's good enough.

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 03-31-2009, 09:08 PM.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Do it. Chop the son of a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, Ha, Ha................. You will have many tell you no, no, no. Why the hell not. I'm not sure what you have in mind when you say bobber, many folks have different ideas of what a bobber should look like. I need to post new pics up of my 79/80 special that I started on as my bobber project about 6 mths. ago and am now about 80% complete on it. First tore off just about everything stock. Kept front fender. Rear fender from HD dyna with mods to fender and frame to get the fit I wanted. 10 " shortys for suspension which gave me about a 2-3/4" drop. The **** what anyone says. 18" apes. 08 Yamaha venture gas tank. pod filters. rebuilt starter. New cafe style head light with mounts. LED smoke lense brake and turn sigs. Custom battery box. Custom seat pan. Did away with side covers, open to battery box. Had plenty of room under tank to weld brackets and clips as needed to reroute and mount all electrical, relays, ignition, fuses, etc. Threw out the huge factory air box in exchange for pod filters. Compression on cylinders are all within 5-10 psi of factory spec. Tranny shift perfect. Have no reason to tear into engine at this point. New mini tach. and speedo. new long stem round mirrors. Rebuilt front shocks. Working on tearing down whole bike and stripping and prepping for paint. Going 50's Belair blue on tins. Gloss black on frame. Flat black on engine, calipers, controls, etc. Getting side and top engine covers chromed for contrast. Hunting down ss brake lines. It's got a really clean, basic, stripped down, no frills look.

Just ideas for ya from another project going on at this time. It's your bike and you have to ride it and work on it. THE HELL WHAT THE DIE HARD OG's WILL TELL YOU. LOL!!!!

Bottom line is that I have done all this, dramaticly changing the look of my bike to better fit my taste and have givving up NOTHING.. And have gotten a MUCH more comfortable ride out of the bike than it ever was original. Will post pics soon once bike starts going back together again.
      80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Comment

As I have said before,
        It's YOUR bike, make it yours!! I LIKE the almost stock look, but I don't know of any REAL biker that does NOT do something to make a motorcycle "fit".
        As long as you provide pictures, we'll all be happy!!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Do what you want. No matter what you do it is still a XS. I am also doing a Bobber project and it is coming along great. I am going to post pics when I am all done. Cant wait to see what you end up doing to it if you chop it.
          1978 XS 1100 Standard - Bobber project
          www.fullthrottlefurniture.com

Comment

Long Live the Passion!

Alright folks Jim is becoming a collector and restorer of all things XSive...Jim I'd say you're just about outta room for any more bikes...until mine is out the door As we can see the passion for these bikes burns brightly within your soul. I think a Bobber would definitely be waaaay cool..Eh?
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
            X