custom exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom exhaust question

Ok so I am trying to figure out my exhaust I have a 4-1 header and I was going to do an open header but it would be way to loud and also if I havnt learned anything else from yall its open header bad idea for performance but I want a little sound so on to my next idea I am going to build an exhaust system using 2.5 inch and 3 or 3 1/2 pipe the 2.5 inch would be on the inside of the larger similar to an aftermarket double walled cruiser exhaust the reason I even want to do double pipe is because I think the larger pipe would look better and the smaller 2.5 inch is better for performance they will not be stainless just regular pipe with header wrap.I will be adding a straight through 2 inch inside diameter samson ground pounder baffle the exhaust will stop past the rear peg and have a slight turn out what do yall think on looks and sound and performance. I know that was long winded but I want to paint the picture
    79 XS 1100 Special

That sounds like quite a project to me.It would be cool though.Trying to route four pipes around the oil filter and around everything else,plus double wall pipe
    will be a challenge.One thing about the double wall though,You would be somewhat protected from burning yourself.
    Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I already have the 4-1 header and a section of pipe that goes back and does a slight zig zag and exits from under the bike it was on the header when I got it so the oil filter and routing problems are taken care of from where itcomes out and turns back I will start the 2 in 1 exhaust should be clear of everything and hugged up to the bike
      79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

What do yall think about performance will this give good back pressure?
        79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Your back pressure will be determined by the baffle in the muffler not necessarily the type of exhaust or the way it's routed. The only thing I might suggest is to make your head pipes all the same length until they join with your collector. If I have my facts close to correct this will help with exhaust scavenging.

Something you can do if you feel you don't have enough back pressure is take a LARGE washer and weld it into the exhaust so it restricts the flow, either weld it straight to the pipe or drill a hole and put a bolt in, then weld the washer to the end of the bolt to have the washer centered.
          Last edited by BigDick; 03-31-2009, 07:31 AM.
          1980 XS11SG
          Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
          Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
          ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

My question is, if you are going double walled why bother with wrap? Unless we are mis-understanding you and you are only doing this custom exaust in-place of the existing muffler/s. Your description sounds as though you are building an entire new system. Which is the case?
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

The reason for the exhaust wrap is the look I have been into hotrodding all my life so that is the look I am going for also I am using standard exhaust pipe not chrome or stainless so does any one have a good idea for a high temp cheap coating I know I can get flat black but are there any other colors likesilver or something that would look good if not that is my other reason for wrapping
              79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Oh yeah and as far as the header I already had that and the pipe going to the header collector so I will only be building the final section
                79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

????????????????????

What the hell???
                  80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Comment

Just look for the ceramic high temp header paint in any decent auto parts store, Personally I'd get the 1200 degree paint. They have them in a fair range of colors.
                    1980 XS11SG
                    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Working...
                    X