Ready for the road, I hope..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for the road, I hope..

Got the 'new' Special all back together. Carbs are in and synched, still playing a bit with the idle mixtures, but it purrs, so far.

Set the valves, and did a general clean. It's still snowing off and on, and cold here, but still ridable for testing.

The one idle screw is still buggered, but it will have to do for now.

Derwat got his King/Queen seat back from being recovered today, and has a '79 sissy bar coming from Ebay so he can give me mine back!

He has been using the king/queen sissy bar combo for an '80 that I got from Fredintoon a while back.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Almost ready

About the same for my hotrod, Almost ready. XS1100SG (now a 1196cc). Did a whole bunch of general maintainence, rebuilt the carbs and replaced the cam chain. Got the head back on after having it flow tested and a little more porting. Started it up yesterday and ran great. The carb advice I pulled from this site was dead on. A few more tid bits to take care of and it's off to the Dyno for some fine tuning. 60deg.F and sunny here yesterday.
    Rick
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

This one (80SG) I was just tuning up basically. It sat for several years, outside. The PO had cut down one of the idle screw towers trying to get the screw out.

Derwat is going down to California for a couple weeks, Will see if I can get the Std (80G) in his garage, while he's gone, and tear the top end off. I have to replace the head, and see what's up with the rings and pistons while I am in there.

I have the gaskets, new cam chain, replacement cylinder head, etc. all ready to go.

If I am lucky I will have both Special and Standard running this summer. Then I can get back to the 1208cc motor that is sitting in my shed.

When I get that motor built, I will probably try it in the special, to see how it runs, and what the fuel economy is like. If it's ok, I would like the big motor in the decker (std), but if it's finicky or poor econo wise, then it can stay in the special.

Derwat has been doing all kinds of things to his '79SF. He got the seat (king/queen) recovered, ordered the proper sissy bar and has been getting the bike ready for paint. He has done some mods to the Vetter fairing, and painted his fork lowers, calipers, front wheel and rotors, etc so far.
      Last edited by Crazcnuk; 03-28-2009, 05:14 AM.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Took her out for a spin, today, had some clutch adjustment issues, and a bit of coughing and spitting, but after one big puff of blue, all the cylinders kicked in, and she ran good for the 30 or so kms we did today.

Took some pictures with the snow, just have to figure out how to get them off my phone!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Sounds good, Craz ..

and it would seem that Spring will find you with plenty-o-bikes that you can ride and enough Elevenesque projects to tinker with to keep your fertile mind occupied throughout the comming summer... that's about as good as it gets, eh? Thnk I'll have me a beer now ..
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

At this point, after the fun with the std I would rather have the two of them in PERFECT running order!

Then I could split the cases on the GT-750..... AAAARGH!

'05 ST1300

Comment

I've got leaks on carbs 1 and 3. very slow, but emptied 1/2 tank of gas in about 30hrs or so.

I put the std in Derwat's garage today, since he's on holidays, will tear into the top end on that one and while it's apart I'll put it's carbs on the special for the time being.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Glad to see you got a runner, I know you were pretty frustrated last year.Werent you thinking of giving up on the XS's?
                On the pics off the phone thing.I just went through that yesterday with mine.If you have a memory card in it you can just save your pics to that then take it out of the phone and put it in a card slot on your printer and download from your printer.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Carbs, carbs....

The carbs on these bikes seem to be very finicky. You can mess with floats for days to get the bike right. They also like to be as clean as an operating room. Once you get it right, they sure do perform. Well worth the aggravation. Rick

Comment

Not XS's, motorcycles in general. I am still on the fence on that, we'll see how this year goes.

My friend's are all buying Harley Ultra Classics, kind of turns me off.

I just put the carbs from the G on the SG. if you remember my other thread I had just put the Mikes'XS needle and needle jets in. It also has 115 mains and 45 pilots with a 23mm float height.

When I put them on, less than an hour ago, the bike fired right up, on choke, and idled strong. So tomorrow I will synch and set the idle screws etc and we will see how it goes.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Well, I put the carbs from the G on today, and nearly dumped it first twist of the throttle! Not really, but the bike did try and go sideways.

It pulls hard right to redline in all gears, so we now know that the carbs were not the problem on the std. Into the engine I go. I should have the head and barrels off tomorrow.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Nothin' like a ...

tester bike .... havin' a couple XSs pays dividends sometimes, doesn't it? .... 'cept when it comes to the insurance and registrations. Don't know how expensive Canada's are, but my most recent California registration was up almost 50% this year... insurance comes directly outa' the bank account so I have no idea what I'm paying and I DON"T wanna' know either ...geeez .... glad I'm virtually outa' here.
                        80G Mini-bagger
                        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Up Here

Ontario registration tag is $42.00 annually. Basic insurance with medical benefits for an XS (clean drivers abstract 3 years, 10 or more years riding, over 50 yrs. old) is about $700.00 annually. No 6 month rates are available. That's the best rate I could find.

Comment

As of yesterday Insurance, basic PLPD, 1,000,000 coverage

Echelon $341/yr

Kingsway $346

Jevco $255

Primmum $247

Bluecircle $255

ING $174 <- Where I have mine now

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                              As of yesterday Insurance, basic PLPD, 1,000,000 coverage
                              Have you checked out http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/home? If you belong to one of their many affinity groups, your insurance may be cheaper yet, not that the one you are with is one to sneeze at either.
                              K. Johnson
                              -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                              triple clean and boots
                              -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                              replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                              -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                              $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Working...
                              X