Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is best place to buy petcock repair kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is best place to buy petcock repair kit?

P&M has 'em for $20. Anywhere better?
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    Putting it together........

I was going to suggest Georgefix on ebay but I see his kits are $54.00 for the 2 kits. So his price is higher. Does the PNM kits have evrything including a new spring? I know some of the other kits do not have it in them. Just for giggles I will put G-fix's kit pic on here for comparison.

2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I rebuilt mine, and they worked for a while and then started leaking again. Finally s-canned 'em and went with manual petcocks from Partsnmore. Got to turn -em on and off but they are new parts and work properly. Also find it more convenient when removing the tank - turn 'em off and they're off. With the stock ones they tend to dribble gas. You can get both petcocks with the mounting plates for $75 including shipping. Partsnmore part numbers 20-0100 (petcocks) and 20-0103 (46mm adapter for standards).
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I searched around ...

quite a bit and finally settled on PNM's kits ... lowest price I could find. No springs but otherwise good ... one thing, the 'plunger' with the tiny o-ring that controls the fuel flow is a millimeter shorter. Go figure? ... So stretch the springs a bit before re assembly and pay attention to how it comes apart and where the spooge holes line up and that they are clear.
        80G Mini-bagger
        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Thanks for that Wiz. I ordered them from PNM yesterday.
          1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

I've been thru all of that, those leaking Standard petcocks with no off position. So here's what I did...

1. Take apart the petcock, remove the O ring from the diaphragm and remove the spring.
            2. Cap off the vacuum port.
            3. On the selector valve, I filled the prime channel (curved one) with 60/40 rosin core solder. It did stick to aluminum.

4. Grind it down close and finish off with fine grit sandpaper.

5. Put her all back together and now your prime position is an off position. No need for prime anymore because the diaphram is non functional now. I've done this a while back with JB weld, and it lasted about a year in constant contact with gasoline before deteriorating. Finally, an off position on the Standard petcock. Reserve and on positions will function normally.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 03-29-2009, 06:43 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Great idea.
              How come it's not in the Modifications dropdown
              1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Working...
              X