Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need a new headlight assembly for 79 Special . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a new headlight assembly for 79 Special . . .

I dumped my sweet girl while doing an incredibly slow u-turn (how embarrassing!) and broke the headlamp assembly, to include the brackets which attach to the frame.
    I know nothing. Can someone please walk me through the simplest way to replace with stock or better?

Thanks!
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Derwat just took his headlight assy off, because he has a vetter fairing.

He has the headlight bucket, ring and the ears that go on the forks, all for the '79 special.

He was going to sell the set to a local guy, but it fell through.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey Mfarrington,

For the bucket, if you have hard wood blocks laying around and a sabre saw. Take the headlight ring and trace its arc on the wood, cut a slice through the wood of the arc giving you two sides of a "mold". You can use that to "remold" the bucket back into shape. DAMHIK

The ears come back to shape without TO much trouble. And for the turn signals, typically the bolt gets bent and snapps, again DAMHIKIJK. You can buy a piece of all thread, cut it to length, drill the hole through the center of it. Around here, you can only get std thread all thread, so I take a die and chase the 1/4"-20 threads to the 8mm X 1.25 thread for just the length that goes into the stalk creating the stop in place of that middle shoulder in the stock piece. Then use a 1/4"-20 nut on the other end to hold it in the bucket.

Just an option to buying the parts. Not saying the one I fixed is perfect, but unless someone knew about it, they would not see it.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post
        I dumped my sweet girl while doing an incredibly slow u-turn (how embarrassing!) and broke the headlamp assembly, to include the brackets which attach to the frame.
        I know nothing. Can someone please walk me through the simplest way to replace with stock or better?

Thanks!

I know I saw a new bucket and headlamp on ebay within the past few days. Not sure if it will fit your bike or if it has sold but it did appear to be new. As far as replacing them, I replaced mine on my SG including the mouting brackets which were bent. I had to take the top fork brace off. Sounds difficult but it wasn't too bad and believe me, I am a NOVICE mechanic.

Don
        currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
        X