Turn Signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signals

I'm having some issues with my turn signals... Maybe it's the way they are supposed to be, but Im thinking likewise.

When I signal left, i flip it back to the center, and push... the flasher goes off.
    Sometimes I can signal right and it actually signal, but 99% of the time I have to flip it to the left turn signal really fast, then go to the right side or it will not flash.

Any ideas?
    '80 XS 1100 Standard

I had a similar problem to this when I first got my bike. For me the problem was corrosion in the switch. I took it all apart, carefully so I knew how everything went back together, and cleaned everything with a wire wheel on my dremel. Coated parts in di-electric grease and everything works great now.
    Rich Barnes
    Salt Lake, UT

79 XS1100SF

Comment

Andy - Have you checked the handlebar control? There's two little contacts in it that may need to be cleaned or adjusted. It's been a while since I've had mine apart, but when I did I found a broken solder connection that needed repair. I'd start by making sure everything is connected and clean inside, and check the operation with the top off and make sure you are getting good contact on both sides of the switch. A pencil eraser is good for getting the contacts clean.

(Sorry for the redundency - gotta learn to type faster )
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I'll try what you guys said.

I didnt want to tear it apart if its a known problem and someone say say "oh its so and so" lol

I'll let you guys know how it goes
        '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

The switch its self is a little sliding block in the bottom of the control. The newer bikes have a hazard switch in there too. The switches have a bad habit of the solder joint coming loose. Yamaha just stuffed the end of a wire in a rivet and dabbed some solder on it. Its pretty easy to re flow the solder with a little flux. I had to do that on my bike's hazard switch and on Wolfpaws turn signal switch.

I would imagine that your quick flip is just jostling the connection enough that it makes contact again.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

It should self-flip

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
            - - - When I signal left, i flip it back to the center, and push... the flasher goes off. Sometimes I can signal right and it actually signal, but 99% of the time I have to flip it to the left turn signal really fast, then go to the right side or it will not flash. Any ideas?
            Hi Andy,
            the signal switch is supposed to work like this:-
            Push the switch button left or right, that side's signals will start to flash and the signal button will spring back to centre. The signals will keep flashing until you push the button straight in from it's centred position or until the self-canceller turns them off for you.
            If the switch don't act that way; like previous posts say, it needs cleaning/lubricating/re-soldering/fixing/go buy a new one.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I was wondering about a self canceller.

Mines definately not working correctly. It does cancel it self on the right, but thats if I leave it in the right position on accident.

Im not sure about left as I always turn it off
              '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
                I was wondering about a self canceller.
                Mine's definately not working correctly. It does cancel it self on the right, but thats if I leave it in the right position on accident.I'm not sure about left as I always turn it off
                Hi Andy,
                the self canceller is continuously connected to reed switch in the speedo that opens and closes as the little disc inside the speedo turns.
                When the signals are on the self-canceller counts the number of pulses and after a certain number it turns the signals off again if you ain't done it first.
                As there are no pulses when the bike is stopped you can sit at a stop sign or whatever and the signal will just keep going.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X