Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a Speedo cable

Help,
    does anyone have a speedo cable for a 1980 MNS. I have a new speedo cable for a standard xs1100 I am willing to swap.
    Thanks
    1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
    2004 Roadstar XV1700
    45 to 50 MPG
    Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

Help,
    does anyone have a speedo cable for a 1980 MNS.
    If you have the old cable, you can REPAIR IT! Just go to the local Auto parts store and buy a "replacement" speedo cable, universal fit. It's just the inside part, with an end you crimp on with a hammer once you cut it to length. Buy some of the Speedometer cable lube, as well. Once the inside is to length, lube it up and slide into your old housing.
    DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE SPEEDO BEFORE YOU TRY THE NEW CABLE!! Put something into the speedo and make sure it turns EASILY. If it's hard to turn, try hitting it with some silicone lube, just a quick squirt up into the speedo drive area. I've had a brand new cable break in 100' because of a frozen speedo.
    If you DO need a new cable, you can just get the "special" cable, and paint the ends black for the MNS.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      If you have the old cable, you can REPAIR IT! Just go to the local Auto parts store and buy a "replacement" speedo cable, universal fit. It's just the inside part, with an end you crimp on with a hammer once you cut it to length. Buy some of the Speedometer cable lube, as well. Once the inside is to length, lube it up and slide into your old housing.
      DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE SPEEDO BEFORE YOU TRY THE NEW CABLE!! Put something into the speedo and make sure it turns EASILY. If it's hard to turn, try hitting it with some silicone lube, just a quick squirt up into the speedo drive area. I've had a brand new cable break in 100' because of a frozen speedo.
      If you DO need a new cable, you can just get the "special" cable, and paint the ends black for the MNS.
      Thanks I'll give that a try today!
      2004 Roadstar XV1700
      45 to 50 MPG

Comment

Go to PepBoys

I checked all over for a universal speedo cable and finally found one at Pepboys.
        The cable is from motormite.com and their part # is 03368.
        The Dorman part # is 705-070
        This cable is the right size and worked perfect after I cut it to 39.25" and crimped the end on.

Thanks for the help.
        Who needs a New Speedo cable for a standard XS1100?
        2004 Roadstar XV1700
        45 to 50 MPG

Comment

What you do is pick up a speedo drive for a std and you can use it with your cable.

Then no matter what cable you get, in the future, you have both drives!

I have a special cable on my std this way.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Motion pro

My speedo cable on my Special broke and it was going to cost me over $40 to get a factory replacement. I called around and found that Motionpro makes one for it and it only cost me $15 delivered.
            Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special
            1979 650 Special - sold (Stupid Me!)

Comment

Working...
            X