what size jets do i need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size jets do i need

I have a 79 xs11 special it is in the proscess of being built but It will have 4-1 exhaust no muffler open header and no airbox with individual filters could some one give me an idea of what idles and mains I neet and what the needles should be set on thanks
    79 XS 1100 Special

EX - Welcome to the site. Take a look in tech tips under "Modifications". There's a thread there labeled "Jetting Recommendations" that should answer your questions.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

And to add... you'll never get all the power or get it jetted right without some form of resistance from something resembling a muffler of some sort.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

And Please don't fire it up in my neiborhood! LOL

Deny
        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

LOL thanks for the welcome! Yeah it was loud when I cranked it before taking it apart according to that with open header and single airfilters it says I need 152.5 mains and 2 sizes up on idle is theis right or is my calcs of it seems big also any ideas for some form of baffle but I want a little rumble especially at idle and I don't mean a harley rumble I mean that mean sounding 4 cyl yamahammer rummble
          79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

I put on a set of megaphones from JC Witney - the longer ones that are slip on. I have been told my bike was dang loud! I like the sound and no, under any circumstances could the sound of the Timemachine be confused with a hardly. I have heard of guys using the exhaust tips from a VW Bug. Ya I know that dates me. Seems like it would be loud!!!

Deny
            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

I have a 4-1 I was thinking maybe I could cut open a used sportbike muffler and take out a few things and get a nice little rumble or is there a single muffler I could buy I like the look of the jardine oval can that comes with a header in a set but I only need the muffler it may be because I am young but I just want people to know I've arived
              79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

If you take a tape measure to the "collector", the part your megaphone and header meet, you just need to buy a muffler with that diameter. Almost ALL aftermarket pipe builders will sell just a muffler, so that should be easy.
                I only need the muffler it may be because I am young but I just want people to know I've arived
                As you get older, you learn that STEALTH is a better option. I still ride fast, but I like to be gone BEFORE the cops hear the bike!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                X