Oil filter question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter question ?

Do I need to prime my oil filter when I put it in ? I have done it in the past but I'm older now and just forgot.The manual says to do it.Does everyone do this, does anyone ? It's a pain with oil in the cup to get past my Kerker pipes.
    I'm sure that this had been asked before but I can't find it ?
    Thanx
    80 XS1100SG
    Tkat fork brace,Progressive suspension,
    E3 tires,Iridium plugs,Mikes black coils,Standard handlebars,Kerker header.
    Ankeny,Iowa

I didn't prime mine when I changed it (only done it once), and it's doing just fine. I figure that's the oil pump's job...
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Yes, it is a pain in the ass, but i do it anyway. I only fill the cup half way. Come to think of it, i've never done that with a car engine, so WTF?

Comment

Thanks I'm glad to here I'm not the only one ! I understand the concept of not wanting the oil pump to suck air for a couple seconds but like you said that's it's job.
        80 XS1100SG
        Ankeny,Iowa

Comment

The filter housing is gravity filled when you put the oil in. No need to prime.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Nope, it's pressure fed from the oil pump.

Comment

It's like this:

Comment

Originally posted by gmlever View Post
                Do I need to prime my oil filter when I put it in ? I have done it in the past but I'm older now and just forgot.The manual says to do it.Does everyone do this, does anyone ? It's a pain with oil in the cup to get past my Kerker pipes.
                Hi gml,
                I never have, the engine has never seemed distressed, but what do I know?
                What you can do to fill the filter cover in place is pull the plugs, push the starter button and let the engine crank until the oil warning light goes out.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ok Boys ?

Now I'm confused ? To prime or not to prime that is the question ? Like Randy says you don't prime the filter on a car engine ? The really old chevy's had an oil filter kinda like the XS didn't prime that either ? ???
                  80 XS1100SG
                  Ankeny,Iowa

Comment

If it is possible to prime it, that would be the best choice. If it isn't possible due to header clearance, then I'd at least pull the spark plug wires off and crank until the oil light goes out. Don't crank the starter for more than 10 sec. at a time. Let it cool for 10 sec. between cranks. I always prime a car filter if the angle permits it, such as a small block chevy (vertical).
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

There is no need. There is plenty of oil in teh motor. More than enough to lubricate until the oil pressure comes up (2-3 seconds).

I've seen air cooled motorcycle engines run, at full throttle, with no oil in them. It takes a good 15-20 minutes before they start to have issues.
                      Last edited by Crazcnuk; 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM.

'05 ST1300

Comment

It does no harm to prime it...nor does it break the engine immediately if you don't.

I prefer to prime just because it feels a little bit easier on the engine and yes I prime the automotive versions always also.

Also I never rev cold engine or do grazy burnouts, is there a name for my condition?
                        ---
                        Marko
                        '81 SH

Comment

Just more minutes of your life lost to useless procedures.

Humans think of a million things,to make themselves feel better, that do nothing.

Think of skin creams...

Priming is a good thing to do on an engine rebuild when there is no oil in the system. The rest of the time it's a waste of time. I mean if you really want to go nuts, hook up an inline electric oil pump in the head line and prime the whole system everytime you start.
                          Last edited by Crazcnuk; 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM.

'05 ST1300

Comment

But it works

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                            - - Humans think of a million things,to make themselves feel better, that do nothing. Think of skin creams...
                            Hi Craz,
                            Yeah, I do think of skin creams. Every time I work with solvents or alkalis that degrease my skin I grab the Vaselene skin cream bottle off my wife's dresser and give my poor chapped hands a good and highly effective squirt of the stuff.
                            Mind you, the TV ads that claim the stuff will make you look 10 years younger and let you meet a better class of people don't seem to be true for me.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              Hi Craz,
                              Yeah, I do think of skin creams. Every time I work with solvents or alkalis that degrease my skin I grab the Vaselene skin cream bottle off my wife's dresser and give my poor chapped hands a good and highly effective squirt of the stuff.
                              Mind you, the TV ads that claim the stuff will make you look 10 years younger and let you meet a better class of people don't seem to be true for me.
                              I have the same problem, those skin creams just don't seem to work. I kinda thought I should have been in the poll about ugly on an XS, I'm sure I have Ivan beat, and me on an XS WITH a Vetter fairing?
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X