carb numbers and stuck air pilot jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb numbers and stuck air pilot jet

I found some carb numbers on the carbs...2H7 IO 832,does this mean any thing ?
    And how do you get the air pilot jets out if they dont want to budge,help !

79 xs 1100
    1979 xs1100 f
    142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
    floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
    1978 gl 1000 goldwing
    1981 gl 1100 goldwing
    !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
    when ya get bucked off, get back on

A #1 left twist screw extractor/easy out to remove the pilot jets. No drilling required, they fit right in. If they are really tight you can soak the carb in hot water for a few minutes.
    2h7 is a 79 standard.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Thanks, i think they are tight, you can see where the po tride to get them out and bugered up the screw driver slot, he said the bike sat for 10 years with gas in it, the outher night mare i will have is getting them back together, got a couple of hondas that have been the same night mare, one of these days just gona break down and buy one I dont have to work on, lol
      1979 xs1100 f
      floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
      1978 gl 1000 goldwing
      1981 gl 1100 goldwing
      !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

cowboybob998,
        It sounds like you already have all the carbs apart,but I would recommend doing one carb at a time.For two reasons.One you wont mix parts between carbs that way.Two you have three other complete carbs to look at if you forget where something went.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I second the easy-out. A little penetrator like PB Blaster should help too. The fact that there is a hole in the center of it already makes it a perfect fit for the easy-out, and it's brass, so it grabs in hard and really gets a nice bite on it. The really hard ones to get out (if they are stuck) are the Idle mixture screws on top. Good luck with those!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Hi Cowboy
            I just did my carbs this week on my Outsider project and 3 pilots started to strip
            so I did a search and found a thread that said to use the pb blaster as Bug said
            I let them sit overnight and the next day I inserted my screwdriver and gave it a light tap in what was left of the slot and luckily for me they all came right out
            And I was soaking them in wd40 before
            good luck
            Gary
            1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Outing the jets

Originally posted by cowboybob998 View Post
              - - - And how do you get the air pilot jets out if they don't want to budge,help !
              79 xs 1100
              Hi Bob,
              it's easier to repost than to dig up old strings. Here's how:-
              Gonna need a drill press anna bench grinder.
              Take a screwdriver you are not fond of and saw off the blade.
              Grind the blade to be an exact fit in the jet you need to remove.
              Unplug the drill press, this is a hands-only operation
              Tighten the modified screwdriver blade into the drill press chuck.
              Block up the carb on the drill press work table so the jet is upwards.
              Use the drill-press feed arm to force the blade down into the jet.
              Keep pressing as you turn the chuck backwards by hand to undo the jet.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

maybe this is why he sold the bike, he hade one of the jets out and you could see where he was trying to get the outhers out, how much are a set of webers to go on here, seen where they put them on a honda 750, lol
                1979 xs1100 f
                floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                  cowboybob998,
                  It sounds like you already have all the carbs apart,but I would recommend doing one carb at a time.For two reasons.One you wont mix parts between carbs that way.Two you have three other complete carbs to look at if you forget where something went.
                  Sorry the carbs were allready apart, got the carb placement figured out and he put all the parts in seprate boxes exsept for the carb slides and from what i learned on the goldwing this important, if these are like the goldwing they are matched to each carb.
                  1979 xs1100 f
                  floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                  1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                  1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                  !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    I second the easy-out. A little penetrator like PB Blaster should help too. The fact that there is a hole in the center of it already makes it a perfect fit for the easy-out, and it's brass, so it grabs in hard and really gets a nice bite on it. The really hard ones to get out (if they are stuck) are the Idle mixture screws on top. Good luck with those!
                    got the idel mixture screws out but what is that little jet next to the main on the bottem way down in the hole, I dont even want to mess with this one, lol
                    1979 xs1100 f
                    floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                    1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                    1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                    !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

hold your horses

whoa there for a second...before you get the drill or easy outs...get a good fitting screwdriver in ther and get a hammer...try a couple of good hard "taps" on the pilots and then see if the screwdriver can get them out. I had the same buggered pilots. With the help of TC he got them all out using this method...and no drilling..dremeling or soaking in solvents was necessary. YMMV
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by cowboybob998 View Post
                        got the idel mixture screws out but what is that little jet next to the main on the bottem way down in the hole, I dont even want to mess with this one, lol
                        That would be the pilot jet next to the main jet. Those just screw out, and the pilot circuit can clog up easily, so they should be removed and the passageways cleaned and blown out with air, if you have it.

Comment

Working...
                        X