Advice on replacement pegs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on replacement pegs???

OK, I've given up on trying to find any replacement pegs for my XS1100SG. I have those wide rubber pegs and they look like the originals....in fair to sad shape.

I've been searching for a new set to put on but I am not sure on size and type of mountings, etc.

I like these from Denniskirk.com but these are for a Gold Wing.

Do you guys or gals have any suggestions on what you have gone with for your bikes?

Don
    Last edited by DJinNH; 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM.
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
    OK, I've given up on trying to find any replacement pegs for my XS1100SG. I have those wide rubber pegs and they look like the originals....in fair to sad shape. - - - Don
    Hi Don,
    my XS11SG pegs are a stage further, between sad and pathetic. I got a real nice used set off a Standard from Andreas but I don't really want to do that.
    Now those Dennis Kirk pegs you found look real nice. It appears that the swivel pin joint between the pad and the bracket is the same arrangement that most bikes have. Perhaps a marriage between Kirk's pad and Yamaha's bracket could be arranged? Will they sell you just the pads or must you buy the entire thing?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred, I just looked at my SG out front and those in the photo really do look like they'd work. I haven't really looked into it yet but I wonder how hard it's going to be to get that pin out of the mounting bracket to put in the new pegs.

I'm going to look into it.

Don
      currently own;
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Don,

Nothing a drill and a drift won't handle Had to knock mine out during the Swamp restoration, so i drilled the end of the pin off and knocked the pin out, then replaced it with a clevis pin / cotter pin combo. Of course, i had to remove the entire peg with mount from the bike to do it.

Comment

Fred, I just looked at my SG out front and those in the photo really do look like they'd work. I haven't really looked into it yet but I wonder how hard it's going to be to get that pin out of the mounting bracket to put in the new pegs. I'm going to look into it. Don
          Hi Don,
          Like Randy sez, the swapover looks doable but I think there is another problem.
          I just found those 'pegs on the Dennis Kirk site. They are listed as "brake pedal" and they want $75 for it. Perhaps it's the brake pedal that is also in the photo that is the item for sale and the footpeg is just part of the scenery?
          Last edited by fredintoon; 03-25-2009, 10:41 AM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Do you guys or gals have any suggestions on what you have gone with for your bikes?

Don
            I installed the pegs on one of my biles and some of the Retros on another. Here is the thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&referrerid=69
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the advice.

I went over to MOM's (Motorcycles of Manchester, NH) yesterday and found pegs pretty much like the ones in the photo I posted. The guy was extremely helpful in finding the correct adaptor post. I had to order them so I will let you know how they work out and post a photo if I get them on without too much problems....I hope.

Don
              currently own;
              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

I figured I would give you guys an update on this project. I did get those pegs in the photo above. I had to buy the mounting pegs to them as well. (The mounts from the side of the footpeg to the bolt in the original setup)

I found that the new bracket that goes in between those two mounting plates, well, it didn't fit perfectly so the pegs would sag. I used some type of cement to hide a couple of washers in there to help support it but they still seem to sag slightly. Still, they are the nice new pegs instead of the old chewed up rubbers.

I imagine some of you guys who are much better at projects like these could mount them in a way that would work better. I wish I could have simply found some of the old wide rubber pegs in great shape to replace the old ones with.

Don
                currently own;
                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Don

Also, I had to drill out the old pin and replace it with a new bolt and nut. Again, I had to put some washers on the bolt to make up the difference in the gaps. Those were not the washers I said I had to cement on.

Don
                  currently own;
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                  2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Looks good

I've been looking at replacement pegs for my standard 80. Those look nice, maybe I could adapt them
                    '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

The front pegs on my SG had the Po's social security # etched in them and the rubber was starting to get worn out.I took the front pegs off my ZRX when i replaced them,drilled out the pin and installed a cotter pin/clevis like mentioned before.I like the feel of the metal ZRX foot peg.
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      Inline fuel filters
                      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                      160 mph speedometer mod
                      Kerker Exhaust
                      xschop K & N air filter setup
                      Dynojet Recalibration kit
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Why the heck would someone put their SSN on pegs?
                        '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

I guess the guy thought if the bike was stolen it would help identify it.There is #'s on the rear brake lever and shift lever also.
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          Inline fuel filters
                          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                          160 mph speedometer mod
                          Kerker Exhaust
                          xschop K & N air filter setup
                          Dynojet Recalibration kit
                          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Wow, that's retarded in my opinion.
                            '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                              The front pegs on my SG had the Po's social security # etched in them and the rubber was starting to get worn out.I took the front pegs off my ZRX when i replaced them,drilled out the pin and installed a cotter pin/clevis like mentioned before.I like the feel of the metal ZRX foot peg.
                              Got any pictures? Are they pretty much a "direct replacement" kind of fit? I'm wanting to swap mine for some metal ones.
                              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
                              X