No announcement yet.

Starts just fine but needs full choke to idle, smooth above 5k rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I checked and tightened all the cover bolts, exhaust manifold, cam chain tensioner bolts, and cylinder head bolts. The cam chain tensioner was loose, but everything was nice and snug. I also wiped up any excess oil and started up the bike. No more burning oil from around the exhaust manifold. I will probably go ahead and order a new valve cover gasket just in case.

The guage for the #4 carb on the synchronizer tool had an issue. When you try to dampen it at all, the reading immediatly drops about 4 in of mercury. This is not the case on any of the other 3 guages and occured regardless of which carb that guage was connected to. In any event, after much back and forth I was able to get all for carbs synchronized by a combination of the synch tool and just listening to the engine.

I also checked the compression again, this time with all spark plugs out, the throttle wide open, and the bike fully warmed up.

The results were:
    1 = 150
    2 = 130
    3 = 135
    4 = 150

Funny that #4 stayed where it was and all the others shifted higher.

I put everything back together and went for a test drive. All seems good. No hesitation, no problems idling or at higher rpms, no backfiring.

Thanks for the help.
    '80 XS Special
    JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
    X