Bigger Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Gas Tank

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANY OTHER MODEL GAS TANKS WILL FIT MY BIKE WITH LITTLE OR NO MODIFICATIONS.MY RIDING RANGE STINKS.MY BIKE IS 80 XS 1100 MODEL sg TEARDROP STYLE TANK.ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

hi
    the std and the special tank are interchangable.take the fuel lines off and run the vac from the 2 outside intakes run lhs to rhs carbie with a inline filter.and rhs to lhs carbie with inline filter.use new fuel lines.

Comment

bigger tank.

Is there any specific year std tank to work better than others .I can locate tanks here locally through salvage yards where i live.thanks for quick reply.
      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

most will fit i dont know what year mine is but i am sure a 80 model will fit.most parts are interchangable.my rearset foot pegs and brake and gear leavers rh /sport models only come off and us model footpegs and brake and gearleaver bolt straight on.

Comment

interchange?

I seem to recall from the people who did the switchover to the larger "standard" tanks, that there was a certain amount of slicin n' dicin involved - I think the front lip had to be removed, and some kind of mounting system had to be rigged for the front mounting point - but I may be wrong.
          Cheers,
          Lazer

81XS11H
          why not?

Comment

my 15ltr tank comes off take out the fuel lines.replace diferent fuel lines and vacume line bolt tank on.if you have more worries give randy jackson a email he has about 20 xs1100s stds and specials he can give you the right answer
            Randy Jackson
            22307 Hazy Hollow Dr.
            Spicewood, TX 78669
            Randy Jackson
            http://www.realtime.net/~rafter/

rafter@bga.com

Comment

thanks for replays.

I will get std tank and see how it fits.didnt want to spend no money, till I could see if tank would possibly fit. again thanks for quick responses.

graybird78
              80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

The standard tank fits on the special with no modification other than you need the petcocks for the standard tank. Re route the fuel lines and change the vacumm lines. I use a standard tank for long trips very easy change.

Comment

Can you tell me if the Standard (vacuum operated) petcocks will fit the Special tanks, and fit on the bike around the frame? I would like to do away with the octopus but want to keep the auto fuel shut off feature.
                  Bill Murrin
                  Nashville, TN
                  1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                  1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                  2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                  2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                  1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                  2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Sorry - no can do. The mounting screws on a Special petcock are approx 34mm apart, the same screws on a Standard petcock are approx 46 mm apart.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                    X