Bolt ons... dont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt ons... dont

OK I need to hear from the collective brain trust here....a couple weeks back I bought a sissy bar/rear rack with top box combo that was on a '82 XJ1100. This was from a forum member here. The problem is the forward attaching points. Beneath the 2 chromed nuts on the seat rail...the threaded bolt doesnt extend far enough out for the sissy bar to attach... so what needs to be done? Note that these 2bolts attach the upper portion of the rear shocks so I am not sure what needs doing...longer bolts????
    I will attach some pics in the next post...heres the pic from the seller's bike...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    OK I need to hear from the collective brain trust here....a couple weeks back I bought a sissy bar/rear rack with top box combo that was on a '82 XJ1100. This was from a forum member here. The problem is the forward attaching points. Beneath the 2 chromed nuts on the seat rail...the threaded bolt doesnt extend far enough out for the sissy bar to attach... so what needs to be done? Note that these 2bolts attach the upper portion of the rear shocks so I am not sure what needs doing...longer bolts????
    On my XS400 when I had the OEM rack on it I had two cap bolts that screwed onto the studs for the shocks and then had their own bolt on the end of them that was longer and the rack attached to. Then the acorn nuts went on there. I think I might actually still have those hanging around somewhere although I don't know if they would work on an XJ (or even an XS11 for that matter).
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I would wager that the parts on the XS400 would not be the same as whats on the XJ1100....
      So no one else has any suggestions/comments????
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I just put on the backrest I got off Ebay. It came with longer bolts for the lower mounting and I went to the hardware store and got slightly longer bolts for the mounts behind the tail light. No problems with mine.

Don

currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
          I just put on the backrest I got off Ebay. It came with longer bolts for the lower mounting and I went to the hardware store and got slightly longer bolts for the mounts behind the tail light. No problems with mine.

Don

Interesting...the bolts that are on the top of the rear shocks...they can be replaced without any special tools to compress the shocks? What is the correct size of these bolts?BTW your backrest doesnt mount the same as the one I have see above pic...my problem is with the 2 bolts under the chromed hex nuts...if I cant get this to fit it'll go up forsale....
          Last edited by madmax-im; 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The seat rail bolts SHOULD be 8mm. I think you can get 8mm "extenders" to go on the bolt. It looks like a 1/2" long nut. Use it to secure the seat, and a short 8mm to secure the backrest. My local ACE Hardware carries a LOT of metric stuff, so that would be a start.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              The seat rail bolts SHOULD be 8mm. I think you can get 8mm "extenders" to go on the bolt. It looks like a 1/2" long nut. Use it to secure the seat, and a short 8mm to secure the backrest. My local ACE Hardware carries a LOT of metric stuff, so that would be a start.
              Thanks Ray... I'm trying to visualize how a longer nut is gonna fit the bracket to the bolt coming thru the seat rail...as it is now the bolts do not extend but sit flush with the surface of the seat rail...at least now I have some direction...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I would wager that the parts on the XS400 would not be the same as whats on the XJ1100....
                So no one else has any suggestions/comments????
                I'll check tonight, they are parked side by side, so checking should be easy.
                Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Spade Fuse Box
                750 FD Mod
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  I'll check tonight, they are parked side by side, so checking should be easy.
                  Well if you have the bolts and they are the same I'll buy 'em from you....I just returned from Lowes and Home Depot and they dont have what I'm looking for...that leaves Ace hardware...so if yours are right and you dont need 'em let me know! Cause if I cant get this to fit not only am I going to be dissappointed but then I will put this stuff on ebay.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Well if you have the bolts and they are the same I'll buy 'em from you....I just returned from Lowes and Home Depot and they dont have what I'm looking for...that leaves Ace hardware...so if yours are right and you dont need 'em let me know! Cause if I cant get this to fit not only am I going to be dissappointed but then I will put this stuff on ebay.
                    I just looked at them and I'm almost certain their the same. I will dig through my boxes of stuff this weekend to see if I still have them and make sure and if they are and I have them they're yours. I would figure basically cost of mailing or so? I'll let you know by the end of the weekend.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      I just looked at them and I'm almost certain their the same. I will dig through my boxes of stuff this weekend to see if I still have them and make sure and if they are and I have them they're yours. I would figure basically cost of mailing or so? I'll let you know by the end of the weekend.
                      Cy... that would be awesome as none of the hardware stores have 'em...I was going to go check into McMaster-Carr...but if you got 'em that works for me...I will be away until Sunday.
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                      X