XS11 shocks/lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 shocks/lower

I got a 81 xs11 with 12.75" shocks and wanted to lower it a bit, i have at least 5 or 6 inches between the tire and fender, does anyone know were to get lowered shocks for this bike, I saw some on mikes xs in size 11.5 wich would seem good but when i emailed them they weren't sure if they'd fit on a bike aside from a xs650??? I had a xs400 before this and used a lot of parts from other xs models so i figured this might work the same with the 11.

thanks

I almost bought some really nice shocks myself that were about 1-2" shorter than stock but I wasn't sure if this would throw off the driveshaft angle too much and cause problems. That was really my only concern other than clearance issues with the brake caliper.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

****, i was looking at that too but figured it wouldn't matter, now you got me thinking it might. either way i need to get new shocks so if I cant figure this out i'll just get the standard size, I'd just rather have it lower in the back a bit

Comment

mikesxs sells parts for the 650 ONLY!! The thing is to NOT tell him the parts are going on an XS1100. You can get a few shocks with the 11.5" spacing, but you NEED to think about the spring rate. The XS1100 is about 150 lbs heavier than a 650, and the springs need to take care of that. You can look for a progressive shock, or just see if you can get the heavier springs for whatever shocks you find. I think some of the people here have used JCW shocks, and some of the HD shocks may also work. Just check the width of the shock eye, as there is only so much room for them to fit on the bottom right, and only so much bolt at the top.
        Welcome to the site!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks
          lets see, 150 bike pounds, plus my 200lb ass and maybe a woman from time to time, thats a lot more weight....... I guess i'll seach around and see what I can find. I just hate ordering parts online to test them and not be able to run them right back to the store if they don't fit.

Comment

Oh and what about the shaft??? if it is moved that much will it still shift right?

Comment

something that may help you make a decision is this article that's from this site, it gives details on spring rate and makes a recommendation for aftermarket shocks but the article's almost as old as the bikes. It doesn't however say anything about driveshaft geometry.
              1980 XS11SG
              Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
              Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
              ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

that was very helpfull i gotta say, I was wondering about the squraly feeling in the rear...
                thanks

Comment

Oh and what about the shaft??? if it is moved that much will it still shift right?
                  It's NOT the shifting, it's the angle on the "U" joint. A drop of about 1" should be no problem. I went the other direction with one of my '79s, to 13.5", and had no driveshaft issue after 30K miles. I now run a pair of air shocks I found on ebay, and I'm happy with them. If I lose an air line, I WON'T be happy, as I'll be sitting on an unsprung machine. I did keep the old shocks as a "back up", but they are the 30 year old stock units, and are only for emergency use.
                  Do a search for lowering on the site, and you should find a few threads about it.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I put a set of Mikes XS 12.75" progressive shocks on mine. Don't know about the load rating, but they work much better than the stock shocks that were on it. Fit was perfect. I'm right at 200 lbs, and even with a passenger it rides pretty good. Course that's on a nekid bike too.
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

thanks for the help guys, all that info steered me in the right direction

Comment

Lower shocks

I found a set of new Progressive HD shocks. I don't remember the web site. It was a dealer. They were about 1 1/2" shorter. I had to drill out the bushings for the metric bolts. Other than that, no problems. If anything, it seems to have straightened out the drive shaft angle. 4 years and going strong.
                        Highlander

Comment

Don't forget to shorten the side and centerstands or the bike will fall over to the right.
                          I lowered my wife's xs with 11 inch shocks, and raised the fork tube up in the triple clamp by about 3/4 inch. Had to shorten the stands by an inch or so also. Another problem, if you retain the center stand, and don't have a stock exhaust, the center stand pads, which sit on the ground, will be very low, and subjet to scraping, and bottoming out when in the up position.

Comment

licks.com

11" progressive shocks. they also do applications for 10" shortys on metric bikes. Somewhere around the $200. mark.
                            80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Comment

20 some years ago they sold lowering blocks for these that work ok, i have a set on a 78 goldwing that I have, I am going to lower mine when I get to that stage of this project and i may fab. a pair of lowering blocks, I like the blocks because you can use the stock shocks.
                              1979 xs1100 f
                              142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                              floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                              1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                              1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                              !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                              when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Working...
                              X