Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starts when sunny but don't when cloudy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starts when sunny but don't when cloudy.

I have an 1980 XS1100sg I have noticed that when it is sunny out the bike will start, but if it is cloudy or a little chilly it will not fire. Can anyone help me with this problem.
    Thanks Alan

Move to Florida as I did from Dubuque years ago
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    Putting it together........

Comment

Sounds like an enricher (choke) problem. Colder usually needs enriching the mixture.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

If you could describe your problem with a little more detail,it might help in knowing what you might have done/not have done.Are you pulling out the choke? does it start eventually when you play with it?Is there fresh gas in the tank?What do the plugs look like?Have you cleaned the carbs?
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Sounds like an enricher (choke) problem. Colder usually needs enriching the mixture. Hey i don't know about you but i need the choke to start my bike even if it is cold or not.Usually don't need the choke after it has been running but that initial start of the bike requires it.It could be 75 degrees out if i start the bike to ride to work i need the choke.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

The bike has new plugs and new gas.
            I rode the bike one night then went out the next day to start it but there was no spark to the plugs. It was cloudy about 57deg. out. Went out the next day it was sunny and about 62deg. the bike started without the choke. If it is warm out the bike will start without the
            choke. Never had a problem until about a week ago. I was thinking it may be in the Ignition switch or the coils. I have done some more research and it talks about the pick-up coils.

Comment

Old Yam is right, it SHOULD take some "choke" to get it started in those temps for sure. So it sounds like you might have a rich running condition to start with. Are the plugs looking black or fouled at all?

Yep, the pick-up coils are under the timing cover on the left side, front of the bike as you sit on it. The wires to the pick ups tend to get stretched out and break inside the insulation. So you would only see it by lightly pulling on the wire and looking for the insulation to at a break. Have not YET had that problem (knock on all the wood handy!!!) so I am relaying the wisdom I have read about. I think there is a tech tip on it as well. Problem can be very intermittent as the wires may stay in contact except when the advance kicks in heavy.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

pick up coils would be a good place to look although I've never heard of them failing in that way, but hey, stranger things have happened. you might check your ballast resistor when the bike is cold, resistors can be odd creatures. also you may have a "cold solder joint in the TCI box. you might consider checking all the grounds and make sure they are clean ( bad grounds can cause a whole mess of strange problems, seemingly unrelated to each other), check the electrical connectors, clean and dielectric grease them, and check the fuse box, if it hasn't been converted to blade style fuses, that can be another source of significant despair. hope this helps some, have a nice day and ride safe
                I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Your weather looks cool and wet, bet you are getting dew in the mornings. I would suspect ignition wires or plug caps are old and holding moisture. The high voltage is leaking off reducing your spark.

An easy test is to hold and spark plug wire after the motor starts. If you jump, the wires need replacing. Good wires wouldn't give you a shock.

New plug caps and wires may be needed. Sometimes you can bring a little more life to the old wires and caps with a silicone spray.

Cleaning the spark plug porcelain when you spray the wires and plug caps should help as well.

Comment

Is that really true?? Good wires won't give you a jump??

Man, I still remmeber my dad trying to start an old push mower and having so much trouble, so he had me hold the spark plug wire close to the end of the plug so he could see the spark jump. Only thing that jumped was me about three feet into the air and my arm and shoulder hurt for two days!!

I don't care who says what, I don't hold the wire anymore!! RUbber coated handle on good pliers will hold it just fine thank you.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Also no one has mentioned or asked about the age of you battery. IF it's a regular acid battery and close to 3 years old, it could be on it's last legs. Cold temps cause them to not generate as much power as when it's warm. Have you checked your voltage on your battery? Just another thing to check!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'll bet your dad laughed.

Yep, if the spark wire is not connected to the spark plug or the plug is in really bad shape, even hanging on to a good wire will give you a jump.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          Is that really true?? Good wires won't give you a jump??

Man, I still remmeber my dad trying to start an old push mower and having so much trouble, so he had me hold the spark plug wire close to the end of the plug so he could see the spark jump. Only thing that jumped was me about three feet into the air and my arm and shoulder hurt for two days!!

I don't care who says what, I don't hold the wire anymore!! RUbber coated handle on good pliers will hold it just fine thank you.
                          Originally posted by ELDR View Post
                          I'll bet your dad laughed.

Yep, if the spark wire is not connected to the spark plug or the plug is in really bad shape, even hanging on to a good wire will give you a jump.
                          That's Howmy dad decided whether or not to keep pulling the rope
                          Never figured that one out, at least not until he took one right to the bench, when I DIDN'T jump

Now, on our bikes, with the caps, You SHOULD not get a jolt, as long as you don't touch the plug, or the bike, or the ground,
                          BUT I STILL USE PLIERS, to many suppressed memories to take a chance
                          1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                          "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                          My Photo Bucket

Comment

The battery is only a year old.
                            I know about jumping, my uncle had me push down on the coil wire of my mother's car when she cranked it. Got a nice jolt from it.

Comment

Battery is only a year, probably OK, water level?
                              but could be weak, gotta have ~10.5 to fire the TCI

Have you checked the TCI itself? The solder connections, couldn't hurt to sweat 'em a little

Good Luck, John
                              1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                              "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                              My Photo Bucket

Comment

Working...
                              X